Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Ati2evxx.exe question.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SaltyFry

SaltyFry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

So there is a process I see running in my task manager called atibrtmon.exe and it's eating up a fair amount of memory. Using Process Explorer I found that it stems from Ati2evxx.exe. So I'm thinking of disabling this process and I had three questions following this input from Tweak's Guide:

ATI Hotkey Poller (ati2evxx.exe) - Also called the ATI External Event Utility, this service is primarily needed if you use the ATI Hotkey settings available in the ATI Catalyst Control Center. However, before disabling this service note the following: If you use a third party overclocking utility, you must disable this service otherwise the utility may not work; if you have an XT, X1000 or newer graphics card, disabling this service can also disable the OverDrive section in the Control Center, and can also prevent correct clock speeds being applied in 3D mode; if you run a laptop with an ATI graphics card, you may need to keep this service enabled to allow your LCD screen to switch off properly when the laptop is closed; if you use Fast User Switching then disabling this service may also cause problems with that. If none of the conditions above apply to you, I recommend that you disable this service.

First question: Any idea what atibrtmon.exe actually is? I can't find much on it with any degree of certainty.
My second question would be: Does my graphics card fall into that newer category that's going to inhibit the performance of my card? I have a Studio XPS laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics card.
The last question: Am I able to disable the process and see if it changes how my laptop screen switches off without any detrimental effects (like my screen messing going blank and me not being able to turn it on)?

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm just curious as it seems to be eating up more resources than it should and I don't recall atibrtmon being there until just recently. I really appreciate any help you guys can spare.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Why don't you simply disable the Catalyst Control Center at startup?
Use this app.:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml
You can still run it any time you want

Edited by garmanma, 05 October 2009 - 01:59 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SaltyFry

SaltyFry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

I would but I removed Catalyst Control Center a while back. So guess as a followup question I would ask: If I removed it, should the ati2evxx.exe process be gone with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users