Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ACER ASPIRE 5100 laptop shuts off while trying to install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 metman07

metman07

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

Hello all. I have a problem. I have a ACER ASPIRE 5100 laptop that I am trying to repair. I had tried everything I know of to get this thing to work but to no avail. It was preloaded with Vista and I would constantly get a blue error screen "memory error c000021a" after restarting it. I would get that screen after about 2 or 3 reboots but then finally it would load to the Vista repair screen. It would fix the error, I would try to do some diagnostics while it was running and then I would have to reboot. The blue screen would return.

After the c000021a error happened numerous times I decided to wipe the HD and install a more stable OS, XP. After wiping the HD with Dukes Nuke, I then tried to install XP. The laptop would shut off by itself after about 10-15min into the XP install process. I tried to run the pc with just one dimm of ram and it didn't make a difference. I then tried the other dimm of ram and it didn't make a difference. I now have a clean HD but I can't install anything on it because the laptop won't stay on long enough.

What can be wrong? Bad HD? Could BOTH dimms od ddr2 ram be bad? The fan is always running, so can the laptop STILL overheat? Please do offer any advice you may have as I try to repair this laptop to give to my nephew for use at his school, IONA college of New York.

Thanks so much, METMAN07.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

You can try running memtest overnight: memtest.org
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users