Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen S.

Ellen S.

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

I friend of mine purchased this Presario in 2004. She hasn't had internet since about 2006, so she hasn't had any of the updates since then. I brought her tower home with me since I have internet to load her updates. We're trying to get it internet ready. When I brought it home last week nothing would open. So yesterday she gave me the system recovery disc. I started with the Standard Recovery, but there were too many files that it couldn't recover. So I then decided to do a full recovery. After the full recovery it was rebooting and it told me that not all the system could reload and I couldn't hit okaybecause it wouldn't read / acknowledge my mouse. So, I unhooked her computer and rehooked mine to see what her alternatives were. I found a website, they wanted to know all the things it wouldn't oload. All I can remember is that it was things that could me downloaded later like: Norton, AOL, Adobe, MSN, and QuickTime.

So, I unhoked mine and rehooked her's up (and booted up my laptop). When her's came back up it's saying: NTLDR is missing Pres Control + Alt +Delete to Restart

My question for you is there anyway I can save her conputer? She doesn't have a lot of funds, being a singe mother of a 7 yr old and I'm just a good friend trying to help her out.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellen S.

Ellen S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

I decided to see what happened when I ctrl alt delete and then decided to do another recovery. Here's some more info (could not recover errors):
1. C:\WINDOWS\Help\SB\Training\WXPPer\Content\Wave\U4L@Ce.wav
2. C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
3. C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntkrnlpa.exe
4. C:\WINDOWS\32\dllcache\dinput8.dll
5. C:\Windows\systme32\dllcache\licdll.dll
6. C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\locator.exe
7. C:\WINDOWS\system32\viaservc.dll
9. (Black screen instead of error message)
9. C:\WINDOWS\Installe152ec/msi
10. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1b2cc.msi

then all of after about 20% a big blue screen with following:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. IF this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe Mode.

Technical information: *** STOP: OxO00o00A (0xOAODO015, 0x)0)0))FF, OxO000000O, Ox904118EA)

I am now restarting

#3 Ellen S.

Ellen S.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

When I restarted I retried the system recovery and this is what I received as cannot recover errors:

1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
2. C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBS\Training\WXPPer\Content\Wave\U3L1Dei.wav
3. Black/blank screen
4. " """"""""ditto
5. """""ditto"""""
6. """""ditto""""""
7. """""""ditto"""""
8."""""'"ditto"""""""
9. C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\snmpcl.dll
10. C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab
then the blue screen again and a slightly different message:

Aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to preven damage to your computer.

If this is the first tme you've seen this stop error screen, restart your coputer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentaion or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuartion, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restarat your coputer.

Technical information:

*** Stop: OxO00000024 (0x0019O2F8, 0xF2E8A738, OxF2E8A438, OxF797Ef73)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F707EF73 base at F705E000, DateStamp 3b7dc5d0

hopefully this will give you plenty of info to work with

Thanks again

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

If you have problems immediately after using recovery/restore disks...I would suspect a hardware problem.

I'd start with the hard drive and run a diagnostic on it, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Use the appropriate diagnostic from the website of the hard drive manufacturer and run the long/extended test (if a short and a long are offered).

I would also change the CMOS battery, since it seems that you have a variety of STOP errors. My experience is that this occurs when the CMOS is failing or there is a RAM problem.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users