Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Issues with XP SP2....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jlazz

jlazz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

I ran BitDefender 2009 from a boot cd to combat a virus issue that I was facing....after running and successfully removing all viruses from my machine, I no longer have administrative priviledges under my user account. All of a sudden, when I try to do things like copy files to the root of C:\ or go to Device Manager, i'm told that I do not have the appropriate priviledges.

So, naturally I login to my machine as administrator to reinstate the priviledges under my user account but that's where i run into a wall.... my machine literally does not show any users or groups, no adminstrator group and no administrator user.....So I figure, I'll simply recreate the administrator account/group but when I try to do it.... I get an error in LSASS.EXE and my machine subsequently is forced to shutdown.

Obviously they're there cause I'm logging in with the account so what gives? and more importantly how can I fix this mess?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide....

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Sounds to me that it's possible your system is still infected...or that there has been damage done to system files.

One or more of your profiles may be damaged...your userinit file may be damaged...it's hard to say from what you've posted.

Can you login to safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration?

You say that you login...how far into the login process can you proceed...with no problems?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 jlazz

jlazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

hi hamluis and thanks for the response!

I'm running a Dell inspiron 6000, I can boot in safe mode or normal mode....I login and use my machine daily without any issues expect for my user priviledges. I get through the entire boot process including network connections.

Also I've performed several scans since the incident using multiple anti-virus scanners BitDefender, Kasperski, Symantec and they all come back clean. I have Symantec installed on my machine with the latest updates applied. The others I ran from bootable cds.

I'm at a complete loss as to how to get back the users and groups.....but I hear you that something is wonky on a system level.... the interesting thing is that there are no users or groups but I can login to known user accounts despite them not being displayed in the Computer Management console so they must be intact somewhere?

any help would be most appreciated!

Jon

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:04 AM

Well...normally a damaged profile provides a warning when booting...although I had one instance where my profile was damaged and the login screen was presented but could provoke no response to attempts to login.

I would probably do a repair install of XP as the quick fix, assuming that it really is an O/S issue. I'm not very patient when my systems have issues :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 jlazz

jlazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

thanks Louis, I really don't want to re-install XP.... so many programs loaded, MS Visual Studio, Photoshop, SQL Server, etc.... these take forever to install.... really am hoping for a utility or manual steps to repair this portion of the OS..... let me know if you come across anthing.

also.... I posted another issue on this forum before I posted the one you've been helping me with....the other one is re: AntiVirus Pro 2010 on my wife's Panasonic Tough Book. I posted a few days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.... did I post in the wrong spot or something?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262012/relentless-antivirus-pro-2010-infection/

thanks again!

Jon

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

A repair install of XP...doesn't remove any programs nor require reinstallation of same.

Reference: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Did you follow the admin procedures outlined at that particular forum...for doing things?

Louis

#7 jlazz

jlazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

Thank Louis, I'll give the repair install a try and let you know!

I think so.... i followed it along step by step and included the information per the outline.... it looks like the post is getting some reviews but no one is responding.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

The malware forums are somewhat overwhelmed, if immediate action is desired.

Malware seems to be impacting an awful lot of persons in 2009 and I don't expect that trend to reverse itself.

Louis

#9 jlazz

jlazz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

understood....i'll be patient. :-)

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic