Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing to do a fresh windows xp install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raner

Raner

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hey All
I've been putting off doing a fresh reinstall of windows xp pro because of the stuff that is in my pc.But the time has come to get to it.I have two hard drives I am going to disable the secondary hard drive which is E drive,according to the information I got that should keep that drive intact.I just finished using the windows file wizard and saved the files and settings to E drive,now the thing is the wizard saved all the files and settings from C & E drive because I still have both hard drives on line is that going to mess up some of my files when I use the windows wizard to reinstall the setting and files I saved when I install them back after the fresh install.I am not sure if I did this right because after the install windows will see the secondary hard drive as soon as I hook it back up.So I was wondering if I should have saved the files and settings on C drive only or am I OK with the file and settings information the way it is. Thanks Raner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

I just want to add this comment
You were infected with virut
The chances are very good that any documents and files you save will most likely be infected and you will reinfect your computer all over again

Just so you know

Edited by garmanma, 04 October 2009 - 09:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 John Casemier

John Casemier

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

If your looking to reinstall xp i would suggest booting your system from the xp disk and fully deleting your hard drive and doing a clean install, this would get rid of all the viruses.
Got a slow computer? check out http://www.computer-tech.tk

#4 Raner

Raner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

hi Garmanma and John thanks for the comebacks but the computer that had the bad infection was my work computer that one is all done I have done a fresh windows install on it already,it is working great.
The one I'm working on now is my main computer and it is not infected ran two scans on it one with Dr.Web cureit and one with malwarebytes and it is squeeky clean.The reason I need to a fresh install is because it has had a bunch on upgrades over the years and I have never done a fresh install on it,so I know the registry is full of junk left over from all the upgrades I've done over the years,my main concern was that the wizard saved files from C and E drive and I didn't know if that was going to cause me some trouble down the road when I go back to install the files and reconnect E drive after the windows reinstall.Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users