Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a proxy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Argoneer

Argoneer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

So far I've found out that a proxy is an online computer that will take your call and route it to a third computer using the proxys address as the requesting party.

So the questions are how does one find out what type of proxy one needs, I'm sure there are dozens of different types or the maximum complexity rule would be broken.

Once the needed type is determined I assume you would google for that type and get a vast array of proxys to choose from. Is that the part where you close your eyes and recite eenie, meenie, miney, moe and throw a dart to select one? They all look alike!! Which one is the good one...LOL!!

Now that one is selected comes the hard part. In fact its so hard that its even hard to formulate a question about it...so this is where the experts take over.

What is my computer supposed to say to the proxy to get the ball rolling?? :thumbsup: Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

A more fundamental question would be why do you think you need a proxy?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

I don't need a proxy. I want a proxy.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Let me rephrase that a bit. Why do you want a proxy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

To avoid prying busybodies.

#6 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

Let me rephrase that a bit. Why do you want a proxy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Thanks for the neat link...Arghhhh !!~!! over a dozen different kinds of proxy servers.

Looks like this is going to be a learning chore....

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

One additional item to consider is that some sites will not accept proxies. So you won't be able to use those sites. Also using a proxy in notorious for slowing down your browsing. IMHO, unless you are doing something suspicious or illegal the use of a proxy is highly overrated. There is virtually zero 'personal' information contained in an IP address.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

thats true, also some anti virus software are not able to update like malwarebytes, got it on my laptop take it to university where i have to use a proxy and i cant update

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Along with what Animal stated. Many ISP`s already use a proxy of sorts. My IP when checked is actually shown as my providers nearest exit point located in another town several miles from the town I live in.

Trust is something else you should keep in mind when seeking out a proxy server. Many talk the talk but can not walk the walk of privacy. Either through ignorance\improper configuration or they just outright lye. Do they keep traffic logs?

Just keep in mind, there is no such thing as total anonymity on the Internet. It just does not nor can not work that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users