Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More problems every day

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smilingo

smilingo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

My computer was overheating so I took it in and they told me that my processor was problem and replaced it, they also said my ram might be bad (but i don't think they replaced it). Either way it took them like 3 weeks and they dicked me around so I really don't want to take my buissiness back there. Computer wasn't overheating anymore so that probelm seems to be fixed but now I have new problems.

Sound/Video skips when streaming or playing from my hard drive. Seems to skip less after a fresh reboot then just gets worse as time goes on till i reboot again. This started the day I got computer back. (1 month ago)

When I installed new windows live messenger lately it wont log in. Gives me error that "Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close" whenever I try to log in. Reinstalled this program and wen't through their FAQ but nothing helped so assuming my computer is infected which is blocking it. (2 weeks ago)

I now have the same problem with logging into PokerStars where I can load program but can't log in to server. (Brand new today and basically final straw for my sanity)

Malwarebytes finds 0 problems
Spybot finds like 4 new problems every time I run it but doesn't fix anything
I ran combofix a week ago and it didn't fix problems

Computer also runs generally slower than it used to and sometimes when playing online games computer bogs down with nothing else running to point where it's unplayable.

I feel like I need to wipe everything and start from scratch but think that might be a bigger head ache than trying to fix this. Am unemployed and on EI right now so I don't wan't to fork out 50$ an hour to have it fixed by a tech if I can do things myself first.

Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Done any system maintenance...chkdsk and defrag?

How much RAM installed?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 smilingo

smilingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Doing a defrag now hadn't done that, not sure what chkdsk is but i'll look that up

2G of ram installed, I think I had 4G but the computer guys took out 2G sticks they said were bad.

AMD Athalon 7850 Dual Core 2.81 Ghz

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Send more system info, then check your IDE settings for your first issue. It does not hurt to check...

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete from the pasted information.

Verify the Transfer Mode in the IDE channels are not set to slow PIO mode instead of the preferred DMA.

This is easy to check and generally easy to fix and the mode would not have changed by itself,
so if it has, we should figure out why and fix it.

To launch the Device Manger console, click Start, run and in the box enter:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

Click OK.

Expand the IDE/ATA controller section to see your IDE channels. Right click each, Properties, and for each
channel that has an Advanced Settings tab, determine the Transfer Mode. There are usually about 4 to check, maybe
fewer for laptops.

Report back for each device the Device Type and Transfer Mode settings - DMA or PIO and then if it needs
changing, we can decide the best advice.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

FWIW: How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Generally speaking...the chkdsk /r command is what should be run (if using command prompt, Start/Run, or Recovery Console) because it is the most comprehensive chkdsk performed.

If using the Graphical Interface (My Computer/Explorer) the equivalent is obtained by putting checks in both options (Automatically fix and Scan for).

Louis

#6 smilingo

smilingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name *****************
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2812 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 2208, 7/9/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name WONDERBOX\Nathan
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 882.69 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Primary IDE- DMA if available
Secondary IDE- DMA if available

the other ones didn't have an advanced tab

I ran ReWin but it just sat there at the first screen and didn't seem to be doing anything so not sure what was wrong with that.

After about 24 hours and several reboots and defrags pokerstars is logging into the server again, other problems still persist.

As far as antivirus/spyware. I have a router (which i was told had a built in firewall) and the windows xp firewall enabled. Then i have malwarebytes and spybot for virus scans.

#7 ReWIN

ReWIN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:36 AM

Just pres the top-middle button in ReWIN.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

Just pres the top-middle button in ReWIN.

Please note that this program is a pre-release beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

I used all relevant registry tweaks.

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of Registry cleaners.
Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator "thinks", is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the same, "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect, on the overall performance of the operating system.

Please see this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

If you're not experienced with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
If you do insist on using Registry cleaners, ALWAYS backup the registry BEFORE making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)

Also, the fact that it's a Beta registry tweaker, would make me very leery, of using it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users