Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to choose which partition to boot from?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zangetsu8888

zangetsu8888

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hello

I have 2 partitions, but I can only get the PC to boot from one. Before I had vista and then I installed XP and now it only boot XP. I tried to go to startup options and I went on the bootup programming, and I tried to change it but it doesn't seem to work (note I did just guess what programming to replace it with.)

This is what I did now:

[boot loader]
timeout=30

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

On the startup the option to choose Windows Vista comes up but when I press it nothing happens.

I would appreciate it if someone who understands this problem could explain to me what I can do to be able to use either partition.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

since xp was installed last it is using the xp boot loader which does not recognize vista.
tutorial here http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-...ready-1946.html
page 3 has the answer i think you are looking for but you may as well go through the whole thing.
good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users