Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed hardware in new case/motherboard, HDs won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robert77

robert77

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Hello! I just recently procured a "new" motherboard, processor, and case from a friend and installed the drives and components from my even more ancient computer. I followed the instructions as closely as possible as far as all the hookups went but am having trouble with the primary hard drive.

When the computer tries to boot up from the HD, I get the message "Searching for Boot Record from ID-0..OK". Then the computer just hangs there forever. I thought this was just because I had my old Windows XP installation, so I tried to reinstall that... everything went fine until the setup program restarted the computer and tried to boot from the HD. Again, the same error message. So my assumption is that it's a problem with the hardware and/or hookups. Keep in mind that the bios detects that the hard drive is present, and the initial stage of Windows XP setup seems to work, but when the HD tries to boot I get that error. I tried installing Windows on my secondary drive, but encounter the same problem when it tries to boot.

The computer is an Athlon 1.4ghz, 512 ram, Windows XP, etc. The hard drives are both Maxtor 40gb. There's also a cd-rw and a dvd, these seem to work.

I put the hard drives back into my old computer and they work just fine. The jumper settings are fine as well, I'm pretty sure. Is this something I can fix in the BIOS or might something be connected wrong? Or does the power supply have something to do with it (I went from 250W to 400W). I'd very much like to get it up and running soon. I'm aware that it sounds like it might be a problem with the motherboard, but am hoping that maybe there's a simple solution that I'm unaware of.

Can anyone lend a hand?
Thanks...
-Rob

Edited by robert77, 27 July 2005 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:03 AM

In Your BIOS, Did You Scan For The HDD's - See How That Goes.

#3 robert77

robert77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 08:40 PM

Yes, I scanned for new HDs and all the usual stuff, reset the BIOS, etc.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

If you move a hard drive from one machine to another you can't expect it to boot the second machine unless they are identical in their hardware specs. A hard drive from machine #1 when connected in machine #2 will still be trying to load #1's drivers for #2's hardware which of course is different and won't work. You need to format one hard drive for the operating system for the "new" machine and install a fresh OS.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users