Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have several problems with my xp please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diminishedrespon

diminishedrespon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

Hello there,
I wasn't sure which forum to place my various issues into, i would have been all over the place, so if you could please help.
I have a Microsoft Windows XP, Media Centre Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
There is one Administrator (which I will do the fixes from), another user and a guest user
The list of problems in no particular order are:
1. When the desktop is loading for startup a message comes onto the screen stating: Primary Channel not found and below it for Secondary Channel it states the CD/DVD bunner we had installed named- Plextor
2. The desktop themes which came with the system is either lost or accidentally deleted - so i had to download a software i found style xp to get back a theme but this has taken a very long time to load everytime it starts up. i would like if i could restore the old xp themes
3. I recently installed a new flatscreen monitor, however i cannot get to download or change the resolution of the screen to 1600X900 to support the new Dell monitor
4. I am having a continuos problem with Windows Installer, sometimes I am forced to manually turn it off, so that it will not pop-up and interfere with the work i am doing
5. I am unable to manually or otherwise unistall/get rid of roxio burner software, a message appears stating- certificate file DLL not found.
6. The computer is generally too slow to respond to simple commands
7. I have several anti-virus software installed sybot, pc tools anitvirus and firewall, atf-cleaner, hijackthis, out-dated norton anitvirus, threatfire. I am wondering if I really do need this much or less or better (free) suitable ones for my sysytem.
8. In the other user account when that person logs on at about 5 minute intervals a black and blank C program screen pops up.
9. Also most programs refuse to automatically close when told, often I have to to ctrl+alt+del and then click end now to stop the program.

These are my various issues so far to date. Please Help.
Thank you for listening.
DiminishedRespon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mich1

Mich1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:27 AM

It sounds like a reformat would be better. Trying to fix all those problems would be cumbersome. Back up your files and install it over.
Why the Sony PS3 is a budget bluray player that can save you money
Click here for details --> Pcgeekonline.com

#3 diminishedrespon

diminishedrespon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

It sounds like a reformat would be better. Trying to fix all those problems would be cumbersome. Back up your files and install it over.

If I wanted the easy way out I would take that route. Thats why I asked the "experts" instead for help, so thanks for the suggestion but no thanks.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

1. is this message at the boot screen(black background, white letters)? if so it is saying there is no drive attached to the primary IDE channel so the OS must be installed on a Sata drive. or IDE drives are not jumpered correctly.

2. themes can be found around the net like http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Roya...load-13027.html
the royale theme is there. themes would also be on the install cd and it would take some legwork to find out which .cab file they are in and how to extract them to the folder where windows keeps its themes, but it can be done.

3. its possible that your video card does not support that resolution. see if there are new drivers for your vid card and if you haven't already, install the drivers for your monitor.

4. i have no idea why windows installer would just pop up unless one of your programs may be trying to update. you have to be careful of rouge programs (i.e. trojans) trying to install. next time it happens i would unplug from the internet and see what it is trying to install. keep virus scanner up to date and turned on.

5. bleep, i wish i read number 7 first. two (or is it three?)antivirus programs running at the same time can cause lots of problems. uninstall pc tools anitvirus and firewall, out-dated norton anitvirus, threatfire and reinstall the one you like. AVG and Avira make good free anti-virus programs. hijackthis can be uninstalled. you can reinstall if and when you need it. sybot which i hope is spybot is a very good program i would keep as is atf-cleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users