Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combo-Fix lost my page history

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 renner

renner

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

There are weekly folders available but they won't open, would be very nice to get them back, guide me please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:46 PM

We do not offer support for Combofix
If you read the disclaimer, you would know this

Not to beat a dead horse, but one of the reasons it is not recommended to use ComboFix without supervision is because of these kinds of problems, as you already know. What hasn't been pointed out is that, if you had had supervision, your helper could have gotten in contact with CF's author to resolve the issue. He won't do that with people who ignore the disclaimer and run it on their own--he uses his time to make CF better.

weekly folders available but they won't open

Take ownership of file or folder:
XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Vista - http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-to-tak...lders-in-vista/
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-ta...rship-file.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130137-c...-vista-fix.html

Edited by garmanma, 04 October 2009 - 12:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 renner

renner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

Dont need "support" , just wan't to know if there is someway to "cancel" combofix or get the page history working.
By folders i mean the dated folders in the browser which have the content of visited pages.

Toni

P.S

It's humane to make mistakes ;)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:46 PM

someway to "cancel" combofix

• Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Note: There's a space between Combofix and /
  • Posted Image

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 renner

renner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

Thank You, is this a "sureshot" or is there something that can go wrong in cancellation.
Does it bring the OS 100% to state before c-fix.

Toni

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

It uninstalls Combofix
Do you have a restore point you can go back to?
Mark
Posted Image

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Thank You, is this a "sureshot" or is there something that can go wrong in cancellation.

Toni

When working with malware and malware removal tools a "sureshot" cannot be counted on. In other words no guarantees.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

Absolutely not.

CF is a malware removal tool--it is designed to bring a system back to the state it was in before the malware was there. So if uninstalling it brought a system back to what it was like before CF, then you would be back to an infected system.

When you run CF, several things happen to prepare the system to make malware removal easier. Very little remains on your system if you don't uninstall it. And then when you do uninstall it, it does some post cleanup tasks. One of those is it resets System Restore so that you don't get reinfected from malware backed up there. So you lose all your restore points--if the problem wasn't malware in the first place then you've just lost one way to help yourself.

This is one of many reasons why we try to get thru to people that they should not run ConboFix unless there is a good reason to do so. It should only be run when someone trained in malware removal has analysed your system and asks you to run it with their guidance. Don't run it because it might maybe help you once in a blue moon or because all your friends are doing it. Don't confuse it with an antivirus.

Hindsight is 20-20, you realize your mistake now, just wanted you to know and if you have any friends that might make the same mistake, spread the word.

I'm still not 100% clear what you mean by page history--do you mean your browser's history? If so, I believe CF does delete that and temp internet files. Once again, what has been deleted will not come back when CF is uninstalled. I don't believe it prevents the History from building up again while it's installed, but in any event, go ahead and uninstall CF and check if History entries are being added again. What browser are you using?

My apologies, but I just can't pass this up:

It's humane to make mistakes ;)

It's humane to feed the hungry.
It's human to make mistakes. :thumbsup:

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#9 renner

renner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

Forgive me, i'm from finland so my grammar ain't that perfect :thumbsup: and yes i mean browser's history.
I have IE7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users