Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm upgrade, my mistakes,

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:50 PM

I thought I share a bit of my experience this evening, and ask a question.

The screen said that Zone Alarm upgrade is available. It's version 60.631.003. So I downloaded it. Installed and broke my computer for a bit.

The upgrade includes something very new. I don't recall the name, but the idea is the same as Spybot's teatimer, or PestPatrol. It could even be PestPatrol in disguise. It was a pain to startup, because it treated my mouse and many other things as spies looking at every keystroke - really, that's almost the exact wording of the messages, tons of messages :thumbsup: :flowers:

It is probably a nice upgrade. But I messed up. The screen clearly said to uninstall all spy and spam fighting utilities. I did not. Clicked OK to go on without thinking. BIG mistake.

So I tried system restore to a savepoint done just before this upgrade.
That failed. I tried previous savepoint. That failed as well. Not very useful, is it ? :trumpet:

My final solution was to uninstall the two utilities followed by uninstallation of Zone Alarm because things still didn't work. Well, that was a mess too - ZA couldn't stop because trueVector was running, but I couldn't stop TV because ZA was running. Disable the service, and shut down ZA finally did the trick (counting on the router to protect me in such times :inlove: ). I guess, looking back, it's an obvious procedure, but I didn't think of any of these complications.

I reverted to my original version of ZA, installed it, and thankfully it remembered my license key, but not the settings of which I had many. Then I upgraded to the December version 5.5.062.004 (the last one I had), updated virus stuff and all seems well now. I can even connect here and to google :)

I'm reluctant to allow this v6 upgrade to come in, as I can't be sure if the problem really was due to me failing to uninstall what I should have. Ideas? Suggestions HOW to do it correctly when ZA reminds me in couple days?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:19 PM

Important upgrade:
While I blamed myself for not uninstalling Pest Patrol initially, the problem with ZA 6 is real.
I have tried 3 times (hours wasted!!) to install and make it run. It continues to see my mouse as a spy and causes so much headache it's not funny.

I found my 5.5.094, a very stable version so I'm ok now. But this uninstalling and installing really takes its toll especially that ZA6 wipes out all previous settings. I'm mad because I have a PAID version of ZA suite and expect better.

Why do I say the problem is real? See Zone Labs forum. The absence of ZA advisors is deafening. See this link:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users