Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft security essentials

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ashmash132

ashmash132

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

With respect to all.

Microsoft has recently launched "MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS" a real time AV.
I wish to know whether it is worth installing or should wait for some time for now.

Further I have AVAST installed on my PC. Will it interfere with it? Is it advisable to
run both AVAST and "MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS"? If not, which one should
be given preference?

Thanks.

Manoj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith Fawcett

Keith Fawcett

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

You should only run one Antivirus program at a time. You could run into conflicts and false alarms running more than one.

Here is an article on Microsoft Security Essentials: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353447,00.asp. It is definitely better than nothing, but still has a little ways to go.

#3 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

Avast and MSE are both solid AVs with high detection rates, but if you've already got Avast you might as well keep it. You should not run two AVs, it can cause conflicts which could lead to less protection. Avast also has multiple 'shields' (in particular the network and web shields should be enabled, the others are not necessary) which provide additional protection.

Edited by Someones, 06 October 2009 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users