Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Passwords, File Sharing, I'm Stupid Help Me.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

I Need Help,
I'm currently discovering the benefits of the many file sharing websites. I've downloaded many from one in particular, Rapidshare. The files usually come in either ZIP or RAR form.
I am equipped to unpack them and understand how to do it. Unfortunately, many files come
password protected but give no indication they are so. Therefore I spend huge amounts of
time downloading files at lowly dial up speed only to discover they can't be opened and are
totally useless. I have tried to contact Rapidshare but with no response after three months. Is there some secret code I don't understand or have? Why would someone upload these password protected files for other people to download without including the password? It doesn't make any sense. Are they that desperate for a laugh or again, am I just stupid and missing something. Many of the files on the site are protected but indicate the needed password in the file description. Any assistance or suggestions would be much appreciated. It will save me a lot of time as well as frustration.
TQUAD

Edited by TQUAD, 03 October 2009 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:53 AM

I do not know the answer to your questions but to save yourself even more frustration, I suggest you quit downloading from file share sites before you download something from someone who is sharing a virus or spyware. The best way to get viruses and spyware is using those sites.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:07 AM

Because you have already been downloading from file sharing sites I would IMHO stop. Then run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and a complete scan using your Anti Virus program. Thinking back, to the best of my memory some of those bad things can get in your system even if you can't open them. Hope this helps.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Regarding passwords\how to obtain them. I believe that is a Taboo subject here. Especially when it comes to possibly pirated\cracked software.

Regarding obtaining the password. Rapidshare has no idea or control over that. Password protection is set by the person who uploaded the file. Contacting them will do you no good, thus the reason you got no response and will continue to not get a response.

Finally. As has been already stated. You are running a very high risk of infecting your machine and compromising any personal data you store on or enter into it.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:40 PM

Passworded files are not for your benefit or use. They are files that are uploaded, to a free service, for specific people to access. Who ever uploaded them has emailed or in some other manner contacted the people he or she authorizes access and given them the password.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

To all those well intended responses,
Many thanks for all the great advice. If I could afford to avoid file sharing sites I would gladly do so. Unfortunately my monthly budget for all things in my life is $45.00. That's for everything in my life, internet service, phone service, computer maintenance, hardware, software and anything else necessary to operate my donated computer. I am a quadriplegic spinal cord paralyzed individual that is relegated to living in a nursing center. I am therefore unable to afford those rare or hard to find or out of print audio albums and videos that I enjoy and look for. I have found there are many people willing to share these items, without virus's or infections on these sites. I also do my best to use anti-spyware software such as AVG, Malwarebytes, HiJack This along with Spybot S&D and AdAware to name a few. I was only wondering why Rapidshare, as well as other sites, would allow people to post these types of files. There is nothing wrong with posting a password protected file and only emailing the password to those it is intended for. However these sites all charge monthly fees for the privilege of using their service and claim to have reasonably strict guidelines for its use. One would hope that Courtesy would be included and they would require that files that are intended as private would be so indicated. That ideology may be euphoric and overly optimistic but if it existed would only generate better word of mouth advertising as well as more customers. I was just wondering if I wasn't aware of some secret way of identifying them. I see not.
Again thanks for all the great advice. Also, if anyone out there knows how to get a copy of the soundtrack to Head, by the Monkees or the only album by The Robbs I would be Extremely Grateful.
Sincerely,
TQUAD

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:24 AM

You answered your own question. Rapidshare and other similar companies charge for premium services. For the most part, it's not worth it. I would try eBay for somrthing like the soundtrack to Head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users