Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Boot: Chkdsk fails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PAB17

PAB17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:44 PM

Here is what I have:

3HDDs, 120gb w/ Windows 7 and 2x160GB in Raid 0 with Windows Vista Ultimate. up-to-date.
If you really need hardware stats, let me know, its a custom build.

So I came into my room to see my comp has restarted and was running chkdsk. It gets through to step three and then says it fails to load files because of insufficient disk space, however, the harddrive is 60% + free. As well , Ihave never had issues with my raid card or this specific array. I can repost with the exact files in a bit.

So every time i select vista in the boot menu, CHKDSK runs and I CANNOT skip it; it then gets stuck saying insufficient disk space to repair. My USB keyboard is responsive in the boot menu (ie vista or 7) but not in the skip CHKDSK part. It also runs CHKDSK when I boot Windows 7, but the two times I chose 7, I have been able to skip it once, but not the other time. The time I could not skip it, I did not give it enough time to see if it goes through the same routine as the Vista in CHKDSK.

When I tried to load vista in SAFE MODE it freezes, or atleast sits at the Loaded: \Windows\System32...... screen, which it has been for like 15 minutes.

Also, I do not have any restore pts and I ran boot-repair form the disk which did not do anything. Are there any other options I have?

Thanks guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kworb

Kworb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have a very similar problem. 2HDDs, 2x1TB in RAID 0 with Windows Vista Home Premium. It is trying to run CHKDSK on D: (I scheduled it myself, it's my data partition) but it hangs after about 1400 files in the 4th step. The only way to get out of it is to reset. It's unresponsive when I press buttons to skip it. When I try to boot in Safe Mode it hangs after loading "crcdisk.sys" driver. Is there any way I can remove CHKDSK from the scheduled tasks so it will at least try to boot up my computer again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users