Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop is in computer hell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dreamwrthy

dreamwrthy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

First, it was "windows police pro", now it's "anti-virus pro 2010" My list of problems:

I continually get pop-ups telling me "you're infected! run anti-virus pro 2010!"

My browser has been hijacked, so anytime I run a google search and click on a link, I get redirected to some random website

When I hit control + alt + delete I'm told that my administrator has disabled task manager

Just recently, when I try to run "regedit" I'm told, by "anti-virus pro 2010" that that file is infected so it won't run. Up until an hour ago I was actually able to edit the registry, so this is a new annoyance

I can run malaware, but it runs for six seconds, then shuts down.

AVG (the virus program I actually paid for) will update, but will not scan unless it is in Safe mode, and then, like malaware, it will run for just a few seconds, then shut down

When I try to go to a website to do an online scan, the process does not complete...I either get a webpage full of gibberish or an hourglass that just spins and spins while the program is supposedly doing something, but actually isn't

I'm unable to do safe mode with Networking...I get a blue screen of death if I try

Hijack this will run for about two seconds, then crash

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be most grateful. I'm about to take a bat to this computer.

Edited by The weatherman, 03 October 2009 - 05:30 PM.
Moved from XP to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John Casemier

John Casemier

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Just reinstall windows and this should fix your whole problem.
Got a slow computer? check out http://www.computer-tech.tk

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download"

mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on
    your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes:

Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the

Posted Image button. Save the log to
    your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your
    next reply, please.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 dreamwrthy

dreamwrthy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

Well, I'm almost out of the woods now. I reinstalled windows. I still had the annoying popups telling me that I was infected (by the oh-so-friendly and helpful antivirus pro 2010), BUT, with the internet disconnected, I was at least able to run AVG and Malware and get rid of a bunch of junk. Then they told me my explorer.exe file was still infected. So I reinstalled windows again, and that seems to have gotten rid of MOST of the problems...except now internet explorer is funky, even after I ran windows update to get the computer back up to speed.

Basically, my windows was set back to factory, so my internet explorer was set back to 6, when I had previously used 7. Here are my problems NOW:

I can only launch IE 6 when I use the "run" command. Nothing else works. When I use "run", I direct it to run IE 7, which I downloaded and supposedly installed, but I still see IE 6.

When I type in an address or click on favorite, a new window opens.

Some content doesn't show, and the IE windows repeatedly stop responding.

Any suggestions? I've gone to the microsoft site several times, but nothing there helps.

Well, I'm almost out of the woods now. I reinstalled windows. I still had the annoying popups telling me that I was infected (by the oh-so-friendly and helpful antivirus pro 2010), BUT, with the internet disconnected, I was at least able to run AVG and Malware and get rid of a bunch of junk. Then they told me my explorer.exe file was still infected. So I reinstalled windows again, and that seems to have gotten rid of MOST of the problems...except now internet explorer is funky, even after I ran windows update to get the computer back up to speed.

Basically, my windows was set back to factory, so my internet explorer was set back to 6, when I had previously used 7. Here are my problems NOW:

I can only launch IE 6 when I use the "run" command. Nothing else works. When I use "run", I direct it to run IE 7, which I downloaded and supposedly installed, but I still see IE 6.

When I type in an address or click on favorite, a new window opens.

Some content doesn't show, and the IE windows repeatedly stop responding.

Any suggestions? I've gone to the microsoft site several times, but nothing there helps.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

I'm not sure what to tell you. I think they pulled the IE7 download - wanting you to load IE8. Have you tried that yet?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users