Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Start Up, XP Loading Bar Loads for Ten Minutes, Sound and Video Jerks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 about_to_kill_my_pc

about_to_kill_my_pc

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi there,

I was told that I should post a thread in here because they figured out that it wasn't Malware causing my problem. Anyways, I have a Hewellet Packard XP laptop that's been about 2 years old I think. I've always had problems with this computer, have rebooted the whole system about ten times, and for some reason I keep getting viruses. The computer takes about ten minutes to start up, and it always stays on the Windows XP loading bar, then takes another 2-3 minutes to load everything in. Once everything's loaded my internet and everything works at perfect speed, everything except audio and video that is. They jerk so bad that you can't stand to listen to them.

I know I haven't provided much info but if you could help in anyway, I would be greatful.

Ty
Posted Image
as usual, i'm about to kill my pc...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

HP what? What model?

How much RAM installed?

How large is hard drive, how much free space currently on hard drive's C: partition?

Louis

#3 about_to_kill_my_pc

about_to_kill_my_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:16 PM

HP Pavilion dv4000

Hard Drive:

Used Space: 20.8 GB
Free Space: 212 GB
Capacity: 232 GB

Not sure how to check ram.
Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

To see all sorts of data about your system...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

Total Physical Memory is listed in the right screen, last item viewable without scrolling.

<<I've always had problems with this computer, have rebooted the whole system about ten times, and for some reason I keep getting viruses.>>

IMO, users who have continual problems with malware...do so because they don't care about properly protecting the system, their data, etc. Which is the right of every computer user...but it creates problems when you want to enjoy your system or use it productively.

Soooo...my question is...do you want to invest some time into properly maintaining your system...or do you just want a quick fix? If you've reinstalled XP 10 times over a 2-year period...it would seem that you prefer the quick fix (which is only temporary).

Do you do any maintenance on this computer? Have you run chkdsk on it recently?

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm Try running chkdsk, according to the directions provided for using the Graphical Interface. When presented with the screen providing the two options (Automatically fix/Scan for)...put check marks in both...ignore that comment about chkdsk taking many hours.

After you click the Start button, a new window will open, informing you that chkdsk cannot be run now (routine message) and asking if you want it to run at next boot. Type Y in response, hit Enter. Reboot the system and the command will run. When it is finished, it will boot into XP automatically.

What antivirus program is installed? Is it updated properly? Do you have Malwarebyes and SUPERAntiSpyware installed and updated?

Are you using the XP firewall or another?

Louis

You may need this someday, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualC...=reg_R1002_USEN

A tip of the hat, you are one of the few persons with a large hard drive...who has not made the entire drive the C: partition :thumbsup:. That's good!!

#5 about_to_kill_my_pc

about_to_kill_my_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

Total Physical Memory: 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 82.34 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

Obviously, I would prefer the quick fix but would still like some information on how to maintain it for the future. So, a little of both? (: I have run checkdisk a lot... and it doesn't really make a difference. The antivirus program that was installed was Nortan Internet Security but I think it's running out, I can't really afford to buy a new one though. Malwarebytes was installed but didn't seem to help much, it found the virus and deleted it but when I ran the scan again it would still be there. I haven't heard of SUPERAntiSpyware. Pretty sure XP firewall is installed.
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

<<The antivirus program that was installed was Nortan Internet Security but I think it's running out, I can't really afford to buy a new one though.>>

No one has to buy an AV program...to be properly/fully protected. There are plenty of free AV programs that do the job effectively...but only if the user updates them and runs them properly.

Example: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Anti...nload-6527.html

Norton Internet Security is a firewall and AV program combined...I used it for several years just because I wanted to compare it to some of the free products available. Properly configured and updated, NIS works just fine...but it does not necessarily work better than any of the free alternatives. The one negative thing that I have to say about NIS is that it tends to bog a system down somewhat.

Since you only have 512MB of RAM installed, I suggest that you immediately uninstall NIS from your system...employ the XP firewall (which has been turned off by NIS)...and install/update/employ a free AV program.

FWIW: If a user has System Restore running when the system becomes infected...the malware is probably quite likely to appear again. I suggest turning System Restore off temporarily...anytime that you decide to scan your system for malware. This will facilitate complete removal of unwanted guests.

Another important aspect of maintaing Windows...is timely installation of critical updates. Lack of such makes the system vulnerable to known malware attack methods, not to speak of those which will become known in future days.

Defragging the system may help.

You have the minimal amount of RAM that allows XP to perform normally...that means that you should be more careful regarding the efficiency of the computer system that you use...because you have fewer resources that can afford to be wasted. The harder that the system has to work to accomplish simple tasks...the more problems you will probably see.

The best way to increase the functional capability of any system...is to increase the amount of RAM to the maximum supportable by the system.

Of course, you know that the "quick fix" for any PC scenario...is a reinstall. But reinstalls don't necessarily solve problems which are not related to the operating system.

Louis

#7 UnifiedTechs

UnifiedTechs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

My first quess is actually a failing Harddrive. It boots slow because it is getting read errors and has to keep rereading the info, once it is booted the OS runs off of memory so it is fast, video and audio would jerk as the harddrive is unable to provide the data fast enough to keep up.

I suggest testing with the appropriate free software from this site: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetr...p/tophddiag.htm
- Brian Cook

#8 about_to_kill_my_pc

about_to_kill_my_pc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:01 AM

Well, we did install the new hard drive ourselves but as far as I know we did it correctly.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users