Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SunKing

SunKing

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

About 3 years ago I built my PC using AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU with a 939 socket. Looking to either upgrade CPU, or just build another PC from scratch. I would rather upgrade to save money, but clueless if there is an upgrade for me to use that would be worth it or not.

Any comments welcome especially a new CPU upgrade product.

Edited by SunKing, 03 October 2009 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Two things:

You have a socket 939 processor and they are not making those anymore.

It all depends on how much money you want to invest in this upgrade.

I have two AM2 systems but mine are Socket AM2...this one has a X2 4400, while the other has an X2 5000 processor.

You have two routes, basically (IMO).

You can look up your current motherboard and see what CPUs it supports...and then try to find one at reasonable prices.

Or you can replace the board/CPU/RAM, giving yourself a different system reasonably.

At this point in time, I would encourage no one to look backwards when faced with such a choice. Even systems that some here would sneer at...can be had cheaply today and will outdistance anything you've experienced thus far, once the proper amount of RAM is installed.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...d-CPU-VGA-Combo

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Ca...otherboard-CPUs

I suggest going forward, rather than backwards...even if it's only forward by a little bit :huh:.

Louis

#3 SunKing

SunKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

The Motherboard is a ASUS A8N5X.

I have thought of replacing the Motherboard along with the CPU, but why would I have to replace the RAM?

Edited by SunKing, 03 October 2009 - 04:37 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Because...just as there are newer motherboards coming out all the time...which cannot use the RAM previously installed in older boards...many of the newer boards accommodate newer RAM...which doesn't change as quickly as motherboards...but has changed.

If you look at the board specs (for any board or group of boards), you will see what I mean.

Newer boards will use newer RAM, which is generally to the advantage of the prospective user...since it's probably faster than all of its predecessors. And, considering the price of RAM these days...that's a bargain for consumers.

So...althougt the motherboard is the key item (IMO) to consider when thinking upgrade...you also have to consider (as part of the motherboard consideration) RAM used, CPU range, and number of RAM slots available on the board.

We talk about these things as if they are separate components...but they are really separate/interrelated functions of the heart of any computer system.

Louis

#5 SunKing

SunKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Ok thanks that what I thought about RAM.

I assume my case, PS 550 watt, DVD/CD, HD, video, and sound cards can all be re-used?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Cases are iffy...because they come in different sizes.

You cannot put a motherboard designed for a larger case...in a smaller case (safely).

Power supplies can also be iffy, but generally...they can continue to be used. The wattage of the PSU is important, if you intend to game or are adding components which will draw additionally on the PSU...but if you are merely moving/replacing the guts of the system...the PSU should be a non-consideration, IMO.

What I usually do is buy a new PSU when I buy a new motherboard/CPU...and I keep the old one for an emergency backup.

I also buy a spare CMOS battery, just in case the new one turns out to be an "old" one :thumbsup:.

All drives and any add-in cards can also be used...if the new motherboard has slots for such (connectors for the drives). We now have two types of drives (PATA and SATA) and two types of connectors. Newer boards may not include PATA connectors or may be limited to only 1 (which will support a total of 2 PATA devices).

All in all...it takes a little thought by the user. It's not like changing a spare tire because it's flat.

Louis

#7 John Casemier

John Casemier

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

If your going to go with a new mother board i'd suggest seeing if your current video card is agp or pci express because that could make a big cost difference right there.
Got a slow computer? check out http://www.computer-tech.tk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users