Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious Cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tripp B

Tripp B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

I was working in a customers home the other day and they handed me a pile of equipment they had been given. From the pile I was hoping to have what I needed to setup a wireless network. I found a curious cable in the pile and I've been searching trying to find out what it is. Here are the details and a pic:

End 1-
RJ-45 with all pins connected in a 568B scheme (I think it was labled Ethernet/Modem - my picture didn't turn out well enough)

End 2-
RJ-45 with pins 1,2,3,5 connected in a 568B scheme (labled PC/Ethernet) AND a USB cable (labled PC/USB)

Anyone know what it is?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

Looks like it is a specialized\dedicated cable for a particular make DSL modem. That is my best guess and I`m sticking to it. :flowers:

Least till some knows what it really is. :thumbsup:

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 October 2009 - 02:51 PM.

#3 Tripp B

Tripp B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

I think you may be onto something there. I was thinking this may act as a type of POE injector for a network device. It would only provide 5 volts but that could be enough to power something like a DSL or cable modem. Good thinking.

Edited by Tripp B, 03 October 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

I can't find a cable like that anywhere on the net. But if I had to guess, Thunderz is correct. A few years, not all computers came with USB and Ethernet. But all modems come with Ethernet and USB, this is still true today. So I think, the Ethernet end plugs into the modem and the other end plugs into either USB or Ethernet. Just in case you had only one or the other in your PC. But this is a guess.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users