Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed/Disabled services

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkcooper

jkcooper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

I'm running XP on an older laptop, and it recently got infected with a version of the Total Security Antivirus trojan. The removal instructions I found online weren't applicable to this particular version, so I ran Norton, and then manually deleted all the files it found (a couple of registry keys, a dll, and several executables).

I think the virus is gone now, but at some point either I or the virus managed to disable/delete one of the critical services for the computer (Plug and Play, or something). Now most of my services are listed as disabled. Most of the peripherals are down (USB, LAN, etc.), Norton doesn't scan anymore, WMP can't play anything, etc. Windows Explorer still works great, as do Paint and Task Manager

I think that there's probably only one service that's actually damaged/disabled/missing, but I don't know how to find out which one. One of the few things that does still work is the CD/DVD drive, so I'm hoping that I can find the missing components and get them back onto the computer that way. Reinstalling Windows isn't really an option, because, as a third-time hand-me-down, the PC does not have restore disks.

So the question is: How can I find out which service is missing and thus causing trouble for all the others? Is there some sort of hierarchy for the basic services that I can reference to see where the problem stems from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

List of Windows XP Services and Descriptions - http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/List-of-W...d-Descriptions/

Services Guide for Windows XP, Elder Geek - http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Louis

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I'm running XP on an older laptop, and it recently got infected with a version of the Total Security Antivirus trojan. The removal instructions I found online weren't applicable to this particular version, so I ran Norton, and then manually deleted all the files it found (a couple of registry keys, a dll, and several executables).

I think the virus is gone now, but at some point either I or the virus managed to disable/delete one of the critical services for the computer (Plug and Play, or something). Now most of my services are listed as disabled. Most of the peripherals are down (USB, LAN, etc.), Norton doesn't scan anymore, WMP can't play anything, etc. Windows Explorer still works great, as do Paint and Task Manager

I think that there's probably only one service that's actually damaged/disabled/missing, but I don't know how to find out which one. One of the few things that does still work is the CD/DVD drive, so I'm hoping that I can find the missing components and get them back onto the computer that way. Reinstalling Windows isn't really an option, because, as a third-time hand-me-down, the PC does not have restore disks.

So the question is: How can I find out which service is missing and thus causing trouble for all the others? Is there some sort of hierarchy for the basic services that I can reference to see where the problem stems from?

Hi jkcooper,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Which Norton product and version do you have installed, and are you certain that your subscription is still valid? Please let me know.

As for the "Total Security.." infection that Norton detected, does the infection look like what is show in the link below? If so, please follow the instructions on the "Removal" tab in the document.

Total Security- misleading application information and removal instructions

As soon as I hear back from you about the Norton product and version you are using, I can assist you in making sure that it is installed and functioning properly.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 05 October 2009 - 03:30 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users