Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted - XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert0

Robert0

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

I got a rootkit virus and reformatted then reinstalled Windows XP. I can't get connected to my braodband. My ISP says the local area connecttion didn't get installed with XP. If I go to Control Panel and then Internet Connections, nothing shows up under connections. I'm using a Terayon 716x cable modem. Do I need a driver that I don't have or is it something else?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

You probably need the drivers for your NIC = Network Interface Card.

May need some other one`s as well. Check Device Manager for any ? and\or !.

Head over to the Dell site, they will have the drivers you need for any non-native XP drivers.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

You need to go to the manufacturer of your computer or systemboard (if it is a custom PC) and download the drivers for your chipset, network, audio, and video. After you have them, install them in that order. The drivers should also be installed before any antivirus, printer, or applications so they will link to the correct hardware.

Even Windoze XP SP3 only knows about hardware up to about 2002. Any newer systems always need the hardware drivers installed.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

Have you run the XP Internet/Network Connection Wizard?

Installing drivers is only part of the job.

Louis

#5 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users