Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with dvd drive and audio driver on gateway tower

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 five04ever

five04ever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Hey, Have another build i'm working on and can't figure out how to get the DVD drive and the Audio drivers working at the same time. It got extremely infected with malware/adware, etc.. AFter just reimaging i ran into a problem.

Gateway Tower ESX500S (GM) MFATXPNT P04
motherboard intel part id:4000828 AZRG30301304 AA AB1583-303
BIOS Version: RG84510A.15A.0021.P11
Pentium 4 2.40 GHz

Problem - After loading a fresh copy of winxp pro sp2 and then the chip/graphics/network drivers per gateway.com except for the audio driver. When i tried to install it, pop-up tells me that it can't find the driver and to reboot and try again

This is the audio driver to use per gateway.com
7512451.exe - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio driver, version 5.12.01.3503

The bios didn't show the audio controller until i disconnected the ribbon cable from the dvd drive and rebooted. XP loaded and the sound was there.... I did this a couple of times and same thing. Disconnecting the dvd drive seems to allow the audio controller too be seen in the bios and load in xp.

Looking for a start place to try and trouble shoot this problem... Maybe it's the dvd drive, but these devices are all original from 2005 when it was purchased.

Any help appreciated, and if more info is needed then please let me know. Thanks

Edited by five04ever, 03 October 2009 - 12:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

I'd start with...replacing the drive (temporarily) with another.

I don't expect an optical drive to last more than 2 years (it has a 1-year warranty) so failure at any time after that...certainly seems possible to me. The easy test is to try a different drive for a few minutes.

The fact that the optical drive is not recognized in the BIOS...should be a key item of consideration, IMO.

Louis

#3 five04ever

five04ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

Good point!! But, the dvd (optical) drive is showing up in the bios, it's the audio controller that comes and goes when the dvd drive is connected/disconnected.... Will try swapping the dvd drive though... I was thinking it could be bad as well, but prior to the reimage it seemed to work fine. Will post back shortly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

The audio controller...should have nothing to do with proper installation/connection of an optical drive.

Those cables that used to be connected from the optical drive to the audio connector...are several years obsolete. So the only tie between the two functions should be the motherboard.

Louis

#5 five04ever

five04ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Louis, The audio controller i'm referring too is the onboard audio, not the dvd drive audio cable connections. I am only referrencing the dvd drive because when i disconnected it from the ribbon cable and rebooted the pc the sound driver loaded and worked properly. Regardless, i swapped out the dvd drive with another, and am not able to mimic the problem again, so maybe it was just a fluke and there is a bigger problem, so at this point i guess the only problem is the onboard audio controller not showing up in the bios.

Not to sure i want to load an updated bios on this old board, so any ideas?

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

FWIW: The audio controller...there is only one per system. It handles all audio functions, including Windows sounds, CDs/DVDs, music...if it's heard, it's handled by the audio controller.

The audio controller is normally not reflected in Device Manager...until the audio drivers for the board/system are installed.

The audio function is just like the video function...if it's onboard. The BIOS reflects those functions...but I've never seen a way to disable or enable audio in the BIOS. The BIOS simply reflects the fact that this (audio) is one of the native functions which the motherboard provides.

If you are saying that your BIOS does not reflect an audio function at all times...and you are using the audio function provided as part of the motherboard functions..I would have to guess that your onboard sound function has gone sour.

In any case...if that's true, updating the BIOS won't change that...unless you find that there has been a specific BIOS update issued by Gateway for that particular situation.

A PCI audio card will compensate for the loss, if such has really occurred.

Louis

#7 five04ever

five04ever
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

Ouch!! Nice overview, but was it really neccessary?! I'm looking for help in fixing this problem, not a pc101 coarse

If you are saying that your BIOS does not reflect an audio function at all times...and you are using the audio function provided as part of the motherboard functions..I would have to guess that your onboard sound function has gone sour.

This is exactly what i'm trying to say..... Guess that could of been clearer in the op

FWIW... The BIOS onboard AUDIO for the intel mobo D854GRG with BIOS RG84510A.15A.0021.P11 does indeed allow you to enable/disable it... I'm looking at it right now as it came back after tinkering with it again, and again. If i leave it enabled it will load the audio driver and work as designed on this boot, but when i reboot again, it goes buy, buy

If such a loss has really occurred?? I haven't ruled it out yet my friend, so i'll keep trying to fix the onboard audio issue as i would rather not give up yet by adding a sound card... At this point anyway.

Note: I also ran the Intel Board ID Tool and have the correct Board and BIOS versions
Board Model - D845GRG
Board - AAA81583-303
BIOS - RG84510A.15A.0021.P11.0210160839 Looking for the BIOS updates before flashing it... Been there, done that too

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users