Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop DVD/CD Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rol

Rol

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hello, I would appreciate any help in trying to determine the cause of my DVD/CD not working anymore, and if it is software related to hopefully fix it.

I am running Windows XP that I personally (acquired from school) reinstalled on a Dell XPS M1210. About a month ago my DVD Drive stopped working. I noticed one day that when I push the open button on my DVD Drive the green light flashes but it does not open.

Furthermore, pushing the manual eject button on the DVD drive (via a paper clip) opens the drive but does not fix the problem (even after restarting my computer following a manual ejection). The DVD drive is still unresponsive.

Also, when I go to "My Computer" I notice that under "Devices with Removable Storage" there is a DVD-RW Drive (D:) icon, but when I click on the icon it goes to a blank page (as if there was an unwritten DVDR Disk in it) even though there is nothing currently in the drive. Even if I were to manually open the Drive and put a disc into it, nothing changes. It does not read anything. I do not know if this matters but I apparently have a DVD Drive (E:) icon even though I only have one interal disc drive. Clicking on the icon asks to "insert a disc into Drive E." I also have a SD/MMC/MS/PRO/xD (essentially SD Card slot) port situated right under my Disc Drive, but that does not work either.

The reason I would like help with this problem is that I am desperate to wipe my hard-drive and reinstall a fresh version of windows. For some reason, several Windows products stopped working on my computer. I cannot save any new Microsoft Office files, use Internet Explorer, install Security Updates via Internet explorer or Automatic Updates (updates just go on forever until I turn off my computer), use or set System Restore Points, etc. I cannot even autoupdate my Mcafee Anti-Virus anymore. I also recently got a virus that even with repeat scans with ComboFix, Spybot, Malware Bytes, and Ad-Aware keeps coming back.

Because of the "broken" status of Windows XP and viral infection of my computer, I believe there may be a chance that my DVD Drive not working may be due to some problem in the software instead of the hardware. I do not have Dell warranty on my laptop anymore, so I was hoping to get some help in running some tests (and hopefully fixing the problem) before I take it to the shop to fix/replace the Drive.

Thanks,

Roland.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would go to Device Manager and uninstall each device that I have problems with, for whatever reason. I would remove all external/flash drives which are taking up real estate in My Computer.

I would then initiate chkdsk /r on the C: partition.

I would then reboot the system (allowing chkdsk /r to run) and see if anything installs properly, once chkdsk /r has completed.

Louis

#3 Rol

Rol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your reply. After a quick Google search I figured out how to uninstall my disc drives and run chkdsk. I uninstalled two drives under CD/DVD drives in Device Manager. Afterwards, I right clicked on "My Computer" and did an error check on the next reboot. I am not sure what I was looking for but the two CD/DVD drives did reinstall (or at least reappeared) on Device Manager after reboot. My DVD drive still does not open.

Thanks again,

Roland.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

If you go into My Computer, right click on the drive and select\left click on eject does it open?

One other thing to try. On most optical drives both desk top and lap top there is a small hole. A straightened paper clip fill fit it perfectly. This is a manual release for the tray. If my first suggestion does not work. Try the paper clip.

#5 Rol

Rol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hello Thunderz,

The right-click ejection method does not work for me. I just tried it again now, and after a brief computer stall the drive still does not open. Also, I know about the paper-clip method and it has saved me many times in the past. The paperclip does manually open the drive, however once I close it the drive still does not work or operate normally.

Thanks,

Roland.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

You can always try the upper/lower filters routine.

Upper & Lowe Filters - http://delltrain.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/...d-lower-filter/

Upper & Lower Filters - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529

Upper and Lower Filters. CD-ROM 314060 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Even though this is a very common fix for optical drive situations, be cautioned that this involves a registry edit. Though simple, editing the registry incorrectly or randomly can result in various system problems, including inability to boot. So the first step...should always be to back up your registry.

An excellent tool for doing such: ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#7 Rol

Rol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi Louis,

I forgot to mention but I saw you give the same advice to another person who had a similar problem on this forum. Suffice to say, I already ran the Microsoft Hot Fix, and even re-ran it again yesterday but there's still no change. Should I try manually changing the registry myself?

Thanks,

roland

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:17 PM

The manual editing is what most of us do...I didn't even realize there was a hotfix to address this.

Many of us have had problems with optical drives in our systems...this procedure is not going to solve all of them, but it has solved a sufficient number that it's a common effort to cure optical drive problems that defy logic :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 Rol

Rol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

Ok, thank you, Louis. I'll give it a shot a little later today and I'll let you know.

Roland

#10 Rol

Rol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ok so I ran test while booting my Dell. When it came time to the CD/DVD tests, one test failed. The failed test mentioned "spindle," and so after a Google search I learned that I pretty much have a broken drive. I'm going to make another post on help on reinstalling Windows using an external CD/DVD Drive connected via USB.

Thanks all for your help,

Roland.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users