Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google safe browsing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Argoneer

Argoneer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:22 AM

I am told that you can get or refuse googles' safe browsing download by using the google toolbar in Mozilla Firefox. I am using Firefox 3.5.1 and do not have a google toolbar, but still, at the most inopportune time, I get a big download coming in from google. Yesterday it was while I had my bank account open.

And google is using safe browsing to spyon people by asking for the machine ID and user ID when checking to see if an update is needed. Wouldn’t the version number of the browser be enough to make that decision? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

And the question is: How does one go about blocking big brother "safebrowsing" with out blocking all of google which includes youtube by default.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

From: mozilla.support.firefox Disable Google safe browsing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hey thanks Animal. I have those unticked', but I'm not sure if I got the download this time or not. I will wipe the HDD again and reload everything and watch google more carefully this time. What seems strange is the fact that the first safe-browsing packet to arrive comes from my ISP's URL, then followed by a deluge from google. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#5 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

After wiping the hard drive. and reloading a pristine image, (never near the internet)...and then logging onto the web, within a matter of a minute or so I will see a lot of "safe browsing" packets arriving from google.

I wish to remain in control of this computer since I paid for it and I pay for the power to run it, google needs to learn some manners and ask before acting like they own the place. I want to be able to block google safe browsing out when I want to.

I'm not worried about phishing sites. Googles big brother paternalism is more of a threat than some hacker moron.

I have run Malware bytes and everything is clean. I have an extensive firewall setup. I cannot totally block google because they own youtube where I get my tunes for music practice.

Google is like Jim Jones kool-aid, the good and the bad is combined.

EDIT: Merged this post with original thread to keep all topics together. ~ Animal

#6 Argoneer

Argoneer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

It doesn't work. I have the boxes unticked, but google keeps sending safe browsing packets. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users