Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do with the windows.old folder?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 meftw

meftw

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

So I just installed Windows 7 today and I thought I did a clean install...well it seems I didn't since I still have old files from my XP install. I've been using 40 gigs of my hard drive, but I'm thinking I have an 80 gig...correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't want to delete the Windows.old folder without consulting people with experience. Here's a screenie of my partitions. Please let me know if you need any more info. Thanks everyone!

Screenshot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

seems that it made a back up of windows xp

it should be fine to delete(make sure their is a windows folder for windows 7 because windows.old could be it lol)

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

because windows.old could be it l

Windows.old is the backup of the previous OS.

#4 meftw

meftw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

So it's ok to just delete that folder? Second, I'm looking at the screenshot I linked to and it looks like I have 2 fat partitions on my hard drive. Do I really have an 80 gig and it got split somehow? If so, how do I make it one big partition? Thanks for the replies.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

yer you got 80 gigs
just put them together in that program your using in the pic (its parition manager right ?)
and that small parition is most liky the back up (if its a custem build comp then it wont have this unless your running linux)
makers of the system like dell put those there so you can reformat and install windows from there
make sure you dont mess around with it

#6 pasquanel

pasquanel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:55 PM

I understand your being cautious and people here very often assume you will understand their brief explanations. But maybe I'm missing something here, Groovicus just explained that windows.old is the backup of the previous (old) OS. Since its previous it is no longer there! So yes it is OK to delete.
If the small partition is indeed the original manufactures back up it also is the "previous" OS and it can go.
To reclaim your disk space you are going to need some partitioning software there are some good free offerings such as "Parted Magic" which you can download and burn to disk>(google it). As always a good backup is recommended. Good luck. :huh:

#7 woejipums

woejipums

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

When i try to delete windows.old, i get the error

Could not find this item.

This is no longer located in d:\. Verify the item's location and try again. (D: is my main HD)

Any ideas on how to force it to delete? Problem occurs in vista as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users