Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"iKernel.exe could not be launched"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

I'm trying to uninstall ArcSoft Photo Impression 4 and I keep getting this error message:

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. No such interface supported.

Google searches all seem to direct me to this link for fixing directions. But the page is always blank <-- If you can go to this page and it's not blank, please let me know why I cannot view the page. (ie: acrobat issues, etc)

Help! :thumbsup:

Thanks community.

Edited by ChrisMN, 02 October 2009 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:08 AM

I viewed the link with Internet Explorer 7, Firefox and Chrome - maybe it was having some maintenance yesterday. It is just a "normal" WWW page with some screenshots and links to next steps, etc.

I would tell you what it says and try to help, but you should really read it because there are a few things to try and do while you are looking at that page.

If you can't get it to work, can you try another computer? Even if I could tell you everything it says, your computer will still not be able to display a WWW page that it should, so you will be left with that annoying problem :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

try firefox or opera and try to look at it
or i just copy and paste it for ya:

Q108521: No Such Interface Supported
Problem

When trying to install an application, you receive one of the following errors or something similar:
Setup failed to launch installation engine: No such interface supported.
Error extracting support files. No such interface supported.
The InstallShield Engine {iKernel.exe} could not be launched. No such interface supported.
Error while parsing command line arguments or reading setup.ini: No such interface supported.

Fix

This error might occur if a core Windows system file is missing or corrupted. For further information, see one of the following articles that apply to the current Windows operating system you are running:
Error Loading Type Library/DLL for Windows NT, 2000, and XP Users
Error Loading Type Library/DLL for Windows ME Users
Error Loading Type Library/DLL for Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition (SE) Users
Error Loading Type Library/DLL for Windows 95 Users

This error might occur if COM is corrupted on your computer. For further information, see the following articles that explain how to update to the current version of Windows, install DCOM, and set DCOM permissions:
Update Your Computer
Configure the DCOM Settings on Your Computer

Because this is usually a computer-specific issue, the following are some general troubleshooting steps that may resolve the issue:
Clean the Temp Directory
Close Applications Running in the Background
Detect and End Previously Running Installation Processes
Install ikernel
Acquire Administrative Privileges on Your Computer

Does Your Issue Still Exist?

If after following these instructions your product failed to install, you'll need to contact your vendor. See the Who to Contact page for more information.

Glossary Terms and Related Topics

Q108438: COM
Q108373: DCOM
Q108351: engine
Q108239: How Do I Determine What Operating System Is on My Computer?

Last Modified Date: 10-02-2007ID: Q108521

tell me if you need the links

also since this is in the windows xp forums i will give you the windows xp/2000/ part of one of the links:

Q108186: Error Loading Type Library/DLL for Windows NT, 2000, and XP Users
Problem

Setup failed to launch installation engine: Error loading type library/DLL
The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Error loading type library/DLL

More Information

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files are missing from the Windows\System32 or WINNT\System32 folder:
stdole32.tlb
stdole2.tlb
stdole.tlb

Fix

The following steps explain how to locate the missing stdole files and extract them from either your computer's hard drive or the Windows Installation CD.
Determine which stdole files are missing.
Click Start > Find > Files or Folders.
In the All or part of the file name field, type stdole*.tlb to search for the missing files.
In the Look in field, click Drive C.
Write down which files are missing. You will use the file names in the following steps.

Extract the missing stdole files from a cabinet file using the Expand utility.
Click Start >Run.
Type CMD. Click OK.
Change to the root folder of drive C, type cd\ or c:, and press ENTER.
Insert the Windows Installation CD.
Type expand cd_drive_letter:\i386\filename.tl_ drive:\Windows\system32\filename.tlb, and press ENTER, where cd_drive_letter is your CD drive, filename is the name of one of the missing stdole files (stdole32, stdole2, stdole) that you want to expand, and drive is the letter of the drive where Windows is installed. For example:
expand D:\i386\stdole32.tl_ C:\Windows\System32\stdole32.tlb
Repeat step 5 for each of the missing stdole files.
Type exit.
Restart your computer.

Edited by starcraftmaster, 03 October 2009 - 09:03 AM.

#4 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. The site was apparently having some maintenance yesterday becasue neither of my computers would open it and today its working fine. Thanks!

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

So you got your issue resolved, or you got the WWW site working?

What did you do to fix it?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

Yes, I got the issue resolved. And the site was just having maintenance or something and was unavailable at the time.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users