Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4,095MB Wallpaper Stationery program???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AhhhPC

AhhhPC

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Ok...I'm working on my PC's because I'm having some website connectivity issue and I find this program under Add or Remove Programs:

Name: Wallpaper Stationery
Size: 4,095.00MB!!!

Is that possible? Even my gigantic Quickbooks Pro program uses 895.00MB. This has to be an illegitimate program, doesn’t it?

When I click on the "Click here for support information" under Add or Remove Programs, all I get is:
Publisher: Microsoft Corp
Version: 1.0.0.0

I google searched it and can't find anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xextreem

Xextreem

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

i think its somthing els why not try Your Uninstaller 2008 PRO ? see what this say. I dont know the program but 4gb for a program is very big :thumbsup:
Dont have time for this Realy :)

You read this sh*t ? Now way come on stop the Crap

Uh uh uh What dont know it...

Damn keybord crash.....

#3 AhhhPC

AhhhPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

Do you think it would hurt to just remove it?

I'm tempted but only hesitate because it seems like a file that size must be critical to my PC operating properly. If not, it is a gigantic space hog.

I'd love to know what it is and how it got there.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

Well...I would see if there is such program listed under Programs Installed.

Add/Remove Programs can have erroneous entries.

If there is such a program...since it's in Add/Remove and not listed with the Windows components...you could also do a search of your files, using something like TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ to scan for large files.

Louis

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:29 PM

It's a Microsoft product that allows you to create custom backgrounds for email messages. It looks like it might be part of Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...b2-159fbb797231

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Looking at it on the MS site it says the download time is one minute @ 56K, could be either the reported size is wrong or it is being reported under the full office program size. Some thing is a bit odd!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 AhhhPC

AhhhPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

To respond to 'hamluis' suggestion.....I did look under my "All Programs" list and there is nothing with this name or a similar name under that list. I also downloaded "TreeSize Pro" and ran it. TreeSize Pro is a neat program but it didn't give me any clues.

To respond to 'frankp316'.....when I did google Wallpaper Stationery Microsoft what I found was the following small-sized file which pales in comparison to the 4,095MB that I'm seeing on my Add/Remove list.

Quick Details
File Name: Wallppr.exe
Version: 98
Date Published: 3/30/1998
Language: English
Download Size: 264 KB

To respond to 'OldPhil'.....and anyone else....You know what? I don't think it is a coincidence that the file size shown on my Add/Remove Program (4,095MB) is almost exactly the same as calculation for the number of bytes in 4GB. 1 Kilobyte = 1024 Bytes....well 4 Gigabytes = 4,096 Megabytes. That's almost exactly the same file size of the file shown in my Add/Remove Program list.

I think the file just didn't totally install and is just being reported on my Add/Remove Program list incorrectly using a default number of bytes.

I'm going to step out on a limb and just remove the program...but first I gotta put the kids to bed...I'll report back with the results!

#8 AhhhPC

AhhhPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

Well...I removed it using Add/Remove Programs (I'm running Windows XP Pro).....and all appears to be fine. I'll report back if anything goes haywire.

P.S. I read an article on Microsoft's website (Article ID #265265). This article refers to a different scenario than what I'm seeing, however it addresses the fact that Add/Remove Programs does not always list the actual disk space for the program listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users