Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

frustration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

this is a realy depressing subject.
recent events in my life have led me to cry out. so i wrote a letter to myself. i think it might be good for me anyway, to share with a small circle of intelligent people. taking a chance here. keeping in mind that this was intended to be read at a sobriety meeting that my friend used to go to once a week for ten years. here goes;

Hi,
I’m an addict. I’ve been inactive for about eight years. I know that some people will say that if you don’t know your sober date, that you aren’t serious or won’t make it. That’s OK, for those who need that. For me, what’s important is today and tomorrow, everyday. The past for me is not to be celebrated. It took me many attempts to get where I am now. Understanding that it’s not necessarily what works for the masses, but what works for me, was one of many keys in unlocking my sobriety. Not to be misunderstood, sobriety groups were a very needed first and fallback step. Knowledge and support gained from fellow addicts cannot be understated.
I chose to be clean. I wanted it. You have to. All the rehabs, arrests with months in jail, emergency rooms, unwavering love from family, didn’t matter. I had to make the choice. Life or death. In the end, I should say, in the beginning, that’s all there is. It has to come from within. Unfortunately, even that may not be enough. Life or death, it all comes down to a totally primal and utterly selfish choice. All the love and all the laws ( as they are now ), didn’t matter. Which brings me to what motivated me to write this letter.
While it maybe true, you can’t run from drugs, there is something to be said about getting the heckle out of Dodge. So after getting clean, the wife and I left the city for the sticks. It is here that my frustration grew to motivate me to write this letter.
I live in a diverse community housing. Been here for over five years and have accumulated many friends. It didn’t take long to realize that drug abuse is here too. I want to say it’s a different kind of abuse, but it’s not.
One day, the aid unit from the fire department came. Someone had died. I later learned the person died from alcohol poisoning. Sometime later another neighbor was so ill from alcohol and almost died. Another slipped into a coma while watching TV. His cigarette fell onto his chair and smoldered. Someone found him and he went to the hospital for a while. He’s back now, still drinking. There are others here that that drink “twenty four seven”.
Just recently a neighbor passed away in his apartment. Turns out it maybe drug related and the police are looking for someone to blame. I hope they find the person who supplied the drugs. The person who died was very old. Just like giving drugs to children, I think it’s especially heinous.
What’s wrong with that picture? We criminalize “drug” use and turn our legal backs on alcohol. It’s not a matter of what is illegal and what’s not. It’s do we want to help. Drugs and alcohol. “and alcohol”? They’re both drugs. Both are abused. Both KILL! They are both drugs.
To put a “drug” addict in jail for possession doesn’t help. Branding an individual with a criminal record is even less constructive and hinders recovery. We put a person in jail where there are drugs and those who use them. If that’s not bad enough, if they don’t use, the tolerance to their drug diminishes while in jail. When they get out, they use again. And the odds of death from using with a lowered tolerance is increased. The legal system and the medical community know this. There are some caring judges and some programs within the legal system. Far and few. But better than none.
The financial resources spent on a revolving door, convicting, arresting, and hospitalization are incalculable.
The medical insurance companies won’t cover “drug abuse” related issues. But alcohol related issues are.
The other side of the coin is that we aren’t doing enough legally for alcoholics. The medical community has a legal obligation to report abuse from guns, “drugs”, domestic violence, even animal rights.
We don’t put alcoholics who possess alcohol in jail. Wonder why that is.
Maybe a public awareness campaign with the same fervor on “drugs” and alcohol, as an equal opportunity killer. Presently , for the most part, alcohol and cars kill. Alcohol by itself is being associated with good times and beautiful people. But it’s not “drugs” or alcohol that’s bad. It’s our abuse of these that in the end are two things……..
LIFE OR DEATH!!!

God help us find an answer…..
Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:29 PM

igonuts2: You are so very brave to admit the addiction and post these questions.
I think the reason/answer is simply......money! How much money is being made off of alcohol and tobacco. Which happen to be at the top of the list, along with heroin, for addictions.

The elite get you hooked, using the media (tax right off,money to the elite) which they own, on LEGAL Drugs. We buy these Legal Drugs. (money to the elite) We're taxed on these Legal Drugs. About half the price for Legal Drugs is tax. (money to the elite) All the medical costs associated in fighting addiction from Legal Drugs, prescriptions, Dr. fees, x-rays, etc, go to the elite.

This country has spent over 200,000,000,000 (that's not a misprint) on the Iraq war in two yrs. And billions more on the corporation that make the munitions for the war. (money for the elite) But every state is now having short falls and cutting money on programs that could/would help with addictions.

In most other western countries, addiction of all kinds are treated completely different. Not only are there real treatments that have shown to be very effective. But they don't fill their prisons (more money to the elite) with drug offenders. Over half of all prison inmates in the US are there for drug related crimes and we have more prisoners per capita than all other modern western countries.

The bottom line boils down to personal responsibility, and where do you want our countries money spent? To the elite, or WE THE PEOPLE?
.......dpb.......

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

dpb,
i gotta say that posting this isn't all that brave, but ty. the real bravery came into play when i stopped lying to myself.

#4 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:53 AM

igonuts2.
That's probably the epitome of bravery. To stop lying to ourselves!
I know that the best possible way to help others, is through our own example.
And it sounds as if you're doing just that.

Don't stop asking those tough questions of your self and the rest of us. It keeps us on our toes!

......dpb......

#5 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

igonuts2

Thank you for sharing the way you did. I appreciate the members here and like to know them if possible. I understand about the drugs and alcohol issue. The main problem in my life has been alcohol. Altho I myself don't abuse alcohol, or let it abuse me, all around me are people that do. It sometimes really hurts when I see people dying over it. People I know getting into accidents killing themselves and other people too. It's really sad. No matter how many times it happens to someone.. people still cannot see that if it can happen to that guy why can't it happen to themselves. If I think about it too much my heart breaks. Then I worry.. ALOT. I may as well cry to heaven tho because they don't see.. they don't want to.. I don't think they CAN. :thumbsup:

Edited by Pandy, 28 August 2005 - 09:52 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#6 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:19 AM

you all made me think of a new sig.

Edited by igonuts2, 29 August 2005 - 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users