Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looped Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

This isn't my computer so it might be harder to diagnose. My friend has a Dell Dimension (didn't catch model number x_X), but it seems that everytime you boot it up, it will give an error message for possible Hardware/Software changes. Then it will give the option to go into Safemode, Start from last known good config, or Run normally. I've tried all of those but it will only get to the loading screen which then it will restart back at the very beginning of the boot process.

I was thinking of getting an XP disc and try to reformat it, but is that the correct way to proceed?

She also told me a few days before that she had the Windows Antivirus Spyware thing (I forgot the exact name, but it tries to act as an antivirus and get you to click on it and such), and she never removed it.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

but is that the correct way to proceed?

If she has the rootkit that everyone else has, yes

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:24 AM

The instructions on that want me to log in, but I cannot even get onto the login screen.
Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

The instructions on that want me to log in

???

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
NOTE: Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have <F11> nor any substitute.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users