Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format C

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Robert0

Robert0

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Driving me nuts!!!!!

Help! :thumbsup:

EDIT Moved to the correct forum
Note: a better, more thorough description of your problem will help those members who wish to respond

Edited by garmanma, 02 October 2009 - 08:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

is this not a simple question?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

If it's such a simple question, why haven't you solved it yourself? Or maybe it's a trick question and you give us almost zero information to work with?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

I will take a guess at what he means and and a stab at answering it.

If Windows is installed on your C: drive and you have booted into Windows and are trying to format it that way it can not be done. It is sort of like trying to erase something with the other end of the pencil you are writing with.

Windows can not erase itself while it is in use.

#5 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

Okay. I understand that. It's been a long time since I used DOS. How do I boot up without starting Windows?

Thank you for your help!

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

how are you getting in to dos ?

if i remeber you just format c drive with the windows xp CD or with a windows 98/me startup floppy disk(that wont have ntfs format support)

#7 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

If you"ve looked at the thread that's attached to this post you know that I've contracted a rootkit virus and that it has been recommended that I reformat my c drive the reininstall Windows XP. What is the step-by-step process that I need to use?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

What type of PC? Does it have a restore partition or will you be using an XP CD?

You can find the info for doing a restore on the OEMs website.

If you are using an XP CD then insert the CD, restart the PC. Check the boot order in the BIOS to insure that it is set to boot from the optical drive\CD first. Follow the on screen instructions. I recommend a full format as opposed to a quick format in this case.

#9 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

It's a Dell Vostro but I don't recall seeing an option to reformat when I began to run it.

I am using a CD to reinstall. Did I skip a step or go to the wrong selection?

Thank you for your help!

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:08 AM

Ok, so we are on the same page here.
You boot`d from the CD. All you should have is a plane background with white text. It should give you an option to install\repair\update. (para-phrasing). You want to choose install. It will ask you where? You want to select the partition that XP is already on. It will warn you that an OS already is there. Tell it you still want to install there. Then choose full\complete format in NTFS. That should get you there.

#11 Robert0

Robert0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Thunder.

The reformat/reinstall went well except that I can't get to my internet connection now. I've posted the problem here but don't know if this is the right forum.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

Did you set up the connection, using the XP Internet/Network Connection Wizard...after the format?

Louis

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:42 AM

Did you set up the connection, using the XP Internet/Network Connection Wizard...after the format?

Louis

some modems need drivers(usb modems)
see if you installed them yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users