Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cat and pet deoderizer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm getting ready to put my mom's house on the market
My daughter and her 2 dogs and 8 frigging cats were living it the house and the smell is atrocious. Even after ripping out all of the carpeting
Anybody know of a good homebrew recipe before I go out and spend 60 bucks a gallon on some commercial cleaner
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wbsbadboy

wbsbadboy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Location:High Desert So.Cal., Kern County, State of California, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galexy, This Universe.
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Ok garmanma here goes.
The urin has soaked into the concrete of the floor. Most dont know it but concrete is permeable.
The problem with useing a commercial deoderizer is it will only get rid of the oder that it can reach. Thaty being about 1/16" to 1/8" if that. So spending a bunch of money will solve the problem.....Temporarily! If the home is recarpeted and put up for sale you have a very good possibility that the oders will return. This would be a very bad situation, as Im sure you know.
So, what can you do?
The first thing you need to do is get the deoderizer down into the concrete as far as possible. It took a long time for the urin to soak in and pretty much that is what you need first of all. Some time. 30 days is a good amount. Anything less and you take a chance. With disclosure requirements as they are today you could be in for a big legal bill if the oder returns after the sale of the home.
The deoderizing process is done over the pone month period by allowing the solution to soak into the concrete. Use a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda at a 90:1 ratio. You can get hydrogen peroxide for a buck a bottle at most dollar stores. Mix this up and pour it over the affected areas. Allow it to dry/soak in. Repeat this daily for at minimum 4 days. Sweep or vacuum up any residue before applying the next treartment. After that use a mixture of vinager and water at 1:4 respectivly. Do this daily for at least a week. Then use a mixture of 1 box baking soda to 1 gallon of water for the last week. Sweep up or vacuum any residue before applying the next treatment.
If you think there is a chance that the oder may still reoccure, you can apply a coat of two part epoxy based concrete paint. Just be sure that you add the catalyst before you paint the floor. I had a friend that didnt. He spent the next couple weeks with a lot of rags, and acetone cleaning it off.
If you decide against the paint sprinkle a good layer of baking soda over the concrete before you lay the carpet just in case.
Over time the oders will dissapate on their own. Im talking at least a few years for that to happen though.
This is the method that I employed to a two story home near where I live. The owners had about 10 mixed breed wolves and other animals living there. Four of the wolves and the other assorted animals had the run of the house. They included: a raccoon (totally cool pet!), three smaller dogs (one of which died behind an old style iron bath tub), at least 5 cats (one lived in the HVAC ducts. Had to trap him!), a pigmy goat, two parrots, and countless rodents.
We had to use chemical masks to be able to stand the stench. We at first called in a professional company to solve the problem. After three trips back they gave up and refunded the $3k that was paid to them.
It took 3 months of treating the place daily, but it worked. The house is still oder free. I last visited there about four months ago. You would never believe how horrible that place smelled if you went in there today.
Hope this helps.
Best, Smitty

Edited by wbsbadboy, 03 October 2009 - 12:42 AM.

I provide two types of good, sound advice.
Advice to those who ask for it, and advice to those who need it.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:49 AM

With disclosure requirements as they are today you could be in for a big legal bill if the oder returns after the sale of the home.

Fortunately, my other daughter found the finacing and they're in the process of purchasing the house
Too bad this didn't happen 10 years ago when I worked at a chemical plant. We went through thousands of gallons of H2O2 and a truckload of sodium bicarb a month
Did you know buying 90 bottles of H2O2 will get you reported to Homeland Security? :thumbsup:

Thank you for the detailed instructions on how you accomplished your solution
Hopefully mine won't be as bad

Edited by garmanma, 05 October 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

How about just covering the floors with sheet vinyl?
Should work if it is a one story home.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pounded clown

pounded clown

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Look for Forensics homicide clean-up products. Don't know how available they are to the public but a buddy of mine knew someone who sold these products and used them for killing mold inside his exterior walls. Worked like a charm and saved him a bundle...didn't have to rip off the drywall or remove any insulation.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

It turns out that there's a company in the neighborhood, in the industrial section, that makes one such product for commercial applications
Wanting to be "good neighbor in the community" they gave me 5 gallons
Smells like a breath of fresh air

Of course then the furnace decides to take a crap
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users