Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown after startup.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

Greetings,

My parents computer is doing something funny. Here is the story I got.

My mom was installing windows updates. She left to go brush her teeth. When she came back, the computer was off. She pressed the power button and Windows would start to load. It would get to the point right before it shows the Users screen, then it would shut off, turn on for 1 second and then shut off for good.

I have since restored from an earlier date, cleaned out the tower of dust, and re-applied new thermal grease to the CPU. I also did a fixboot in Windows Recovery Console. Symptoms are the same.

I uninstalled the latest updates and still nothing.

I can get into Safe Mode without Networking.

Any ideas here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Greetings :thumbsup:.

Have you done a search of the C: partition for any .dmp files?

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Can you boot into Safe Mode With Networking? Does the networking function work properly?

System manufacturer and model?

Why did you re-apply thermal grease? Did you check the CPU temp before and after?

Have you tried a different PSU?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Have you done a search of the C: partition for any .dmp files?
Yes, nothing

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
I will give that a read in a bit.

Can you boot into Safe Mode With Networking? Does the networking function work properly?
No. Same symptoms as a normal boot

System manufacturer and model?
Intel Board model DG965RY

Why did you re-apply thermal grease? Did you check the CPU temp before and after?
I read on other forums, people would re-apply due to overheating. The processor was hot and the old grease was dry as can be. After, the processor is still hot but within range. It was in range before as well.

Have you tried a different PSU?
Yes. No change.

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?
Yes. Nothing out of the ordinary

Edited by Shandley, 02 October 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Do you have restore/recovery CDs...or do you have a copy of XP sold by Microsoft to users via various outlets?

Louis

#5 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Yes.

I have tried doing a new install but selecting repair. It scans through just fine and then when it reaches the part where you ahve to reboot, it looks like it's booting into Windows and then the same thing happens at the same spot.

Edited by Shandley, 02 October 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#6 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

It's only during booting does it shut down. No other times has it shut down. I cannot think of what else it could be.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

Since you have the Recovery Console on the XP install CD...might as well try running the fixmbr command.

Using the Microsoft XP CD...select the repair option, rather than install.

On the line where you are asked which install you want to access...type 1 and hit Enter.

On the line where you are asked for a password, just hit Enter.

On the next line...type fixmbr and hit Enter. A warning may appear onscreen that you are about to change, etc...and ask if you want to continue. Yes (Y) and hit Enter. The command will execute.

Summary: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm

Louis

#8 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I tried that and it still possesses the same symptoms.

Any other ideas?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

I'd run a hard drive diagnostic...the drive may be faulty or the file system could have problems.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I'm really just guessing now, there's no way that I can tell what the problem might be...from here, without the system in front of me.

Louis

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

No. Same symptoms as a normal boot

Since there appears to be a problem with networking ....
Try rolling back the "Network adapter" driver to the previous one and then starting the system normally.
Try un-installing the driver and then starting normally.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

Now why didn't I think of that? :thumbsup: I will give that a shot in a bit. Is there anything else that doesn't load when going into safe mode versus safe mode with networking?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Most of your other device (video, audio, etc.) drivers don't load when using safe mode...safe mode with networking loads the NIC/LAN driver only.

Not sure if program drivers load or not...some do, it seems (firewall/AV).

Louis

#13 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

Ahh wouldn't you know it, I cannot get into safe mode anymore. It gives me an error message saying just that when it's loading after the text window with mup.sys as the last file loading. At the top is says Service Pack 1. I think when I went to repair the installation, it must have overwritten some files, adding conflict, not allowing me to enter safe mode.

I think I am hooped here but here is some more information:

I tried a fixmbr and still had the same symptoms.
I tired 31 scans of the hard drive (cause I had nothing better to do) using different software and all came out 100% ok.
I removed the drive and scanned it for viruses & spyware using a usb enclosure and my laptop. Nothing found.

I am wide open to any suggestions.

Edited by Shandley, 05 October 2009 - 09:55 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I don't see where an attempted repair install can hurt you, at this point.

I would suggest using a CD that matches the SP-level which matches that of the system...before your last attempt.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

#15 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

Say, how do you tell which SP of Windows XP is on the disc? I have several and I cannot tell them apart.

I tried a repair install of Windows XP. Unfortunately, like I have mentioned before, it copies the files over and boots into Windows for the "first time" and shuts off at the same spot as a normal boot. I forgot to mention before that I uninstalled Windows SP3. After that, I could still boot into safe mode. I do not think that SP3 was the cause... or maybe it was. I do not know which updates were installed when this all happened.

I cannot get into nlite because I cannot get into Windows... safe mode or not.

Edited by Shandley, 05 October 2009 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users