Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hdd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I currently use a external harddrive to back up photos etc. Am thinking about redundancy in backup and am looking for another location.
What I'm curious about is can a differant computer be used as a external hdd, and if so, is there a usb cable that will do this. Will there be any conflict between the 2 OS. I have 2 older computers that I'm not using .
If the above won't work, and I pull an hdd out of one of the older ones and mount it in the computer I'm using, will there be a problem with the OS on the old hdd.
Just rambling thoughts here.................

Been following this site for over a year and really appreciate all you guys do :thumbsup:

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CnP Systems

CnP Systems

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

For external storage, I like FreeNAS. You install the OS on the HDDs of an old computer and hook it into your router via ethernet and then access it as a shared drive on the computer you normally use. That way you get good data transfer speeds, don't have to mess with any USB cables and the requisite connection problems. Plus, obviously, you can turn it off when you don't need access to it and other computers on the network can easily get access to it as well if you want them to. Plus #2, you can set up remote access to it via FTP. http://www.freenas.org/
CnP

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Sounds to me...as if those are all hard drive connectivity/access issues/questions, with the end result being the same.

Whether it's an external drive (in an enclosure)...a hard drive directly attached to the motherboard...or a hard drive on a different computer system which is networked or cabled so that data can be shared...the result is the same if all devices are functioning properly.

Personally, I would never make things more complicated when devising strategies.

Why even think of another computer system...when I can simply remove the drive from that system...and achieve my purppse?

Why use an external drive...when I have an open spot on my motherboard to directly connect a drive?

If you are not using the older computers...why retain an O/S install on a hard drive that you can put to use for storage...directly attached to the system you actively use?

Louis

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sounds to me...as if those are all hard drive connectivity/access issues/questions, with the end result being the same.

Whether it's an external drive (in an enclosure)...a hard drive directly attached to the motherboard...or a hard drive on a different computer system which is networked or cabled so that data can be shared...the result is the same if all devices are functioning properly.

Personally, I would never make things more complicated when devising strategies.

Why even think of another computer system...when I can simply remove the drive from that system...and achieve my purppse?

Why use an external drive...when I have an open spot on my motherboard to directly connect a drive?

If you are not using the older computers...why retain an O/S install on a hard drive that you can put to use for storage...directly attached to the system you actively use?

Louis

Pretty much what I was thinking. What do I do to clear/clean the old hdd before installing it on the computer I'm using. Any software to do it with?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

You don't have to do anything before attaching it :thumbsup:.

Just attach it, make sure that the jumpers on it are set correctly...and once Windows is booted, it will see it as an added drive.

You can then use the Disk Management function to delete the existing partitions on the drive...and then create new primary partitions that you can use for storage.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

Louis

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

Thank you a bunch......

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

Easily done, you are welcome...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users