Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on what to buy...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 omgitsalan

omgitsalan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

Hello everyone, my birthday is coming up in a couple of months and I want to get a new gaming rig. But, i'll have to build it on a budget. What would yu recommend? Another idea I had was having it built at ibuypower... After looking arouns I ended up with this specs:

AMD Phenom II AM3 DDR3 Configurator - $595
Case ( PSI ArmorX Gaming Tower Case - Yellow )
Processor ( [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 910 Quad-Core CPU )
Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P -- AMD 770 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT - 512MB - Single Card )
Case Lighting ( None )
Power Supply ( 450 Watt -- Standard Power Supply )
Processor Cooling ( AVC Silent AMD CPU Fan and Heatsink - Quiet & Overclocking Proof )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
Data Hard Drive ( None )
2nd Optical Drive ( None )
Optical Drive ( 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Do you think I could get anything better for under $600 USD?

Thanks (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:07 AM

Posted Image

Edited by IrishGrimReaper, 02 October 2009 - 09:10 AM.

|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 omgitsalan

omgitsalan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

So you'd recommend the IntelQ8200 over the Phenom, ATI over NVidia and a DDR2 Motherboard?
Also those prices are from TigerDirect?

Thanks a lot!

#4 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

They are from newegg, try a few US sites they could be cheaper elsewhere. 600$ isn't much for a gaming computer and you won't get any better than that.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

Newegg is a great site for good equipment. Although it is somewhat pricey but well worth the service and products.

Might I reccomend an Alienware Aurora ALX® for the ULTIMATE gaming experience and speed, it is arguably the fastest computer manufactured so far(according to Alienware®) Its equipped with an exclusive Liquid Chilled Quad NVIDIA SLI Graphics solution that goes beyond the capabilities of standard liquid cooling.(it has a radiator) And it also has a HUGE one Tb hard drive avalable on the model.

But it will run you over $2300.00 so its NOT a budget gaming comp.

Just thought I'd leave my 2 cents

#6 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hehe... give him back his €2299.98!

At that price, you could never seriously consider that could you? You realize you could get a desktop with better specs, and a laptop for basic use and probably still be cheaper than that Alienware overpriced c##p?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

Alienware PC's are just Dells in better cases. The build IrishGrimReaper is fine, but not that powerful. The price does not include Windows (about $100) and the Q8200 quad core processor is not that powerful for a gaming PC. For a gaming PC you need around 2.8GHz., in my opinion. A dual, triple, or quad core CPU at that speed would work, though a quad would be best for games that are new. You can build yourself a good PC for $600 but not a good gaming PC, though I'm not sure if Newegg will ship to where you are. Newegg and TigerDirect only ship to select countries. In your profile, it says you're in Mexico.

3939.png

#8 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hehe... give him back his €2299.98!

At that price, you could never seriously consider that could you? You realize you could get a desktop with better specs, and a laptop for basic use and probably still be cheaper than that Alienware overpriced c##p?

lol, ya its pricey. But with alot of Alienware users, money isn't the issue. And as DJBPace07 stated, they are, infact, Dells in better cases. MUCH better cases.

I like Alienware not only for the pure power, but for the case itself, its sleek and good looking, and when you open it up you have blue leds lining all the cards, and chipsets. Its just an eye catching nice ass PC for someone who loves to have all of the newest gadgets. (ie:me)

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

I thought Alienware cases were mostly plastic. I would go for a solid steel or aluminum case if only because of durability. Other boutique builders do use those cases, and if you want to build one yourself, you can find an eye-catching case at online retailers.

3939.png

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

Alienware Aurora ALX - Outer case made of carbon fiber.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

I've searched Alienware's website, they mention nothing about carbon fiber. Few cases are made entirely out of the stuff, but it is more easily molded than aluminum. Generally, the outer panels are made out of the fiber, with the interal structure being aluminum. Ultra's eXo is one such case. This still doesn't change the fact that Alienware PC's are overpriced Dell's in tacky cases.

3939.png

#12 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

oh, well, my AWPC is custom made from Totally Awesome Computers® in Salt Lake City. You are correct. The outer shell is carbon fiber and the skeleton is hardened aluminum.

Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users