Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it really needed?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 danielpaulhardy

danielpaulhardy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

Hey guys, If there is a redirect to an already related topic, Please post. But my query is that I recently had to run a complete system restore on a family members pc due to an insane msconfig.sys/anti-removal issue I couldn't hash out with any of the well known scanners (Malwarebyes, AVG..., Norton, Charter Security Suite(recommended if you take the time)/etc etc). It hasn't been a long time since I was in school for Computer Electronics so I have a good general knowledge of the boot sequence/regedit "no no's" but after installation, I can't help but see a huge pile of unused software accumulating on this desktop (HP Compaq dc7600 I believe.) Examples, and please be nice if I am missing some programns functions; Broadband Mangagement Programns, PDF Complete (Adobe? Zipp the files? Microsoft Office? Wouldn't these suffice?) HP ProtectTools Security Manager 2.00 B3/HP BIOS Config for ProtectTools 2.00 A17 (HP Help and Support etc... Smartcard...) and Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers (When did audio go HD? I feel old but only mid 20's.)

Is all of this really important? I can understand if the BIOS function is being directly affected through this process, but JEEZ.

Also, Several Windows components seem obsolete. I think he is going to run Google Chrome, so should I remove the IE/MSN stuff..

Input please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hi danielpaulhardy and :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer!

I think it would be handy for you to check out the Uninstall Database

Mostly it depends on what one wants to do with his computer. In other words, find out what a certain program does and decide if it is needed.

Generally preinstalled Dell or HP computers come with a lot of programs installed. I know people who always ask for an OS installation disk with those computers to be able to reformat and get rid of those pre-installed programs. However, thats everyones choice.

To take a few out of your post.

Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers

Uninstall that and most likely you will have no sound.

I think he is going to run Google Chrome, so should I remove the IE/MSN stuff..

IMHO Chrome is a good choice, but IE cannot be uninstalled. That would not be good anyway, since you will still need it for windows update, which requires IE. BTW IE8 is fairly good compared with its predecessors.

I hope I answered your questions. If you have more, just let me know :flowers:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users