Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated Graphics Driver & screwed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:14 AM

Hello BC pros and amateurs.

I have just ran Uniblue DriverScanner(scans and updates all drivers on your system). And as I recall one of the updates was for my Intel®82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Stupidly, I selected the option not to backup my old drivers before doing the updating process and when I rebooted - The graphics are extremely odd, everything is LARGER and very basic color and some things I cant even see.

I went into Display Properties and the "Color Quality" drop down menu is set at "Lowest (4 bit)" and that is the only available option in the color quality drop down menu.

Also in Display Properties, the "Screen Resolution" slider bar is set at "640 by 480 pixels"("Less") and the slider will not slide to the right("More")

Using the "Troubleshoot" option did not resolve the issue.

Next to the "Toubleshoot" option I clicked on "Advanced" and clicked on the adapter tab and selected "Properties" and went to the "Driver" tab. Here I attempted to "Update Driver...", this did not solve the issue. Here I also attempted to "Roll Back Driver", this also did not solve the issue.

I've really done it this time... :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance to all who help.

If anyone needs additional details to help me resolve this problem please let me know! I'll be frequenting the topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Generally speaking...there is no need to ever use anything that labels itself as a "driver update program", ever.

In fact, unless you have a problem with a given function that installing the proper update may solve...there is little point in updating drivers merely for the sake of updating. If the system is working well...why tamper with it, with the chance that you may achieve a troubled system?

I would uninstall all video drivers that are currently reflected in Device Manager...and then reinstall the original drivers from the CD which accompanied the system/motherboard.

If that isn't possible, I would go to the website of the system manufacturer...and download the appropriate drivers from that website and then install same.

Louis

#3 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

You can download graphics drivers directly from the intel website.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

#4 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

When I used the "Update Driver" button in the "advanced" properties, it takes some time to check for update and when done, it says that I have the correct driver already installed... So maybe the graphics driver isn't the problem?

Is there any way that I could be directed in the right direction?

Here's some info on my system for anyone who can help me find the right driver, or fix this problem.

Emachines T3624
Intel Celeron D Processor 330
1024MB SDRAM

If anyone needs more tech stats, please let me know. I have all the info on the motherboard and etc. I DO NOT have any CD's from original purchase.
Thanks

Edited by ChrisMN, 03 October 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

Alamaxia - The intel website says this about my graphics driver:

"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer. "

After browsing the Intel website I have found this file:

"IntelŪ Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (zip)"

It has a note claiming: Installs graphics driver version 14.10.3 for the integrated graphics controller of IntelŪ 845G chipsets.This file is intended for use by Developers.

Should I download the file? I don't want to make things worse by doing something I don't know about.

#6 John Casemier

John Casemier

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

what you should do is uninstall your video card drivers entirely and restart the computer and install the ones from intels website and it should work fine.
Got a slow computer? check out http://www.computer-tech.tk

#7 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

eMachines website had all drivers for my specific model. The issue is resolved.

Thanks everyone who helped out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users