Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioned Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 apothecary

apothecary

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Location:Par, Cornwall, England. (can't find England on your list of countries!)
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:03 AM

I'm running on Windows XP. A recent crash left me with several functions missing so I decided to reload Windows from a recovery disk. This has worked except that I seem to have partitioned my hard drive. I have a drive C with 10gb free out of 147gb which is fine for me, and a J drive with 10kb free out of 10.7Gb. The computer wants to use drive J and is ignoring C, hence I'm getting constant "Critically Low Disk Space" error messages. I rather feel I might have to reload Windows again but can anyone tell me what I did wrong last time? Or is there a way of merging both drives?

Thanks again for your help.

Apothecary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

System manufacturer and model?

When using a recovery/restore disk to reinstall Windows...the instructions, explanation, etc. for how that all works...are determined by the system manufacturer.

Some such disks also utilize an additional partition on the hard drive (which they created during the install of XP) which is necessary in order for the recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

You would have to consult either your system documentation (owner's manual) or the manufacturer's website...for specifics regarding such.

Louis

#3 apothecary

apothecary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Location:Par, Cornwall, England. (can't find England on your list of countries!)

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:20 AM

Thanks Louis.

Much to my surprise, I have actually been able to resurrect my computer with only a C drive. Just don't ask me how I did it. The only thing that has disappeared is my fax printer. All other printer connections are working fine but I can't fax anything.

Any suggestions as to how I could retrieve this?

Regards

Apothecary
aka Dave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling the fax printer...and setting up the fax function properly?

Are you using a particular program for faxing...or XP's innate capability?

Louis

#5 apothecary

apothecary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi Louis. Thanks for message & apologies for delay. I often work away from home for a week or two at a time.

I've tried adding Windows Components - Fax but the system wants me to insert "The Compact Disc labeled Windows XP Professional CD-ROM into my cd drive (H) and click ok".

However, my computer bought about 5 years ago from PC World, came with Windows pre-installed on the hard drive so I don't have any disc to insert. Is there any way to download the missing file(s)?

My computer is a Philips model MT 1400

Regards

Dave
p.s I'll be away again for the next two weeks! Mixture of working & playing with vintage buses. See www.davemoore1.co.uk for my work & www.iowbusmuseum.org.uk for my other hobby

Edited by apothecary, 10 October 2009 - 10:12 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hobbies are good :thumbsup:, enjoy them when the opportunity presents itself.

Personally...I don't believe Microsoft Fax is worthy of a download...there are other fax programs out there that probably do the job at least as well, if not better. When I've had to send faxes (once every two/three years), I just download a program, install it, use it, and remove it from my system.

http://faxsoftwareworld.com/computer-fax-s...are-for-win-xp/

Louis

#7 apothecary

apothecary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

Hi Louis.

As always, many thanks for your help. Appreciated. I've had a quick look at the link and should get a module from one of them.

Out of curiosity, I looked up Killeen, Texas on Google maps. Looks nice from the satellite image. I'm a bit nearer the coast, in fact, can see it out of the bedroom window. Try Par UK from Google maps. The bus museum is on The Isle of Wight. That place looks even better on the ground!

Regards

Dave

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Happy computing, Dave :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users