Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Destructive Recovery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gilliang

gilliang

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Hi guys.

After trying to remove a virus on my sister's PC and failing, I've decided to reset my computer to its factory settings. I ordered recovery discs from HP but am not sure how to go from there. I was wondering if someone could give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I was trying to do it myself but decided to stop at a certain point because I wasn't sure where to go.

So would it be possible for someone to give a detailed post here or if possible contact me on MSN and help me as I go along with the process on my sister's computer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hp's recovery is actually very simple and self explanatory but here goes. Most restores start with the disk that has "Start with this disk" on it. This will give you very few options. Doing a destructive recovery ( meaning formatting the drive ) is usually what you are given in the first place. You actually have to pick "not" to format the disk in my experience. Once the drive has been formatted, it will usually reboot but not every time on every machine. If it says you need to, just leave the disk in and it will recognize that the drive has been formatted and is ready for the copy process. It will then copy some HP branded information to the drive then ask you for the Windows XP installation CD. Insert that CD and wait for the second copy process to finish. Now, some HP's come with what are called "supplemental software" disks. If you have received them, you are faced with a choice. You can insert them and continue on with the once again copy process or you can skip them. These normally have things like AOL and an antivirus ( usually very outdated and not very good ) and so on. For the purist who wants just a nice simple install of Windows XP, skipping these disks would be your best option. You will then be faced with a screen saying "Press F10" to continue. This is when the actual installation of Windows XP and all needed drivers actually takes place. Get some coffee or other beverage of choice and relax for a bit. This process can take up to 30 minutes. The machine may also reboot during this process. Don't interrupt it but watch for any messages on the screen asking you any choices. Use your best judgement for these and in just a short while, you will have the computer back up and running.

Make sure you immediately install an Antivirus and also update Windows XP. As you probably already know the update process will take quite awhile and multiple reboots. Just take your time and be patient and you will be successful.

If you run into any problems, please come back and we'll be happy to help you.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Here's my problem. The discs I received aren't labeled like that at all. Which is kind of odd. They sent me three disks. An Operating System CD, an Application and Driver Recovery CD and an HP Quick Play CD.

I assumed I would use the operating CD first and so I put it in and pressed enter and such to install a fresh copy of Windows XP but then I came to a point where it was asking me which partition I wanted to install XP on and I wasn't sure whether I wanted C, D or F. I picked D but then it told me that I would have two operating systems on the partition and that wasn't a good thing so I decided to stop the process before I messed anything up permanently.

So needless to say I'm completely lost. It's as if the discs they gave me don't seem to match what you think they should have given to me.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

What model HP Desktop or laptop is this please?

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

It is an HP Pavilion dv1000 Notebook PC.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

Alot of the HP Pavilion laptops had 2 partitions on them. What you are seeing as drive "D" is usually used for a "recovery partition". With that being said, using the Operating system CD and when it asks you "which partition" you want to install on you will pick the "C" partition.

As with almost all installation of "Windows" the "C" partition is the default Drive letter.

You will be told by the Windows XP CD that it found an installation of Windows XP on that partition and you can choose to upgrade or install a fresh copy of Windows on that partition. Install a fresh copy and walk through the rest of the prompts. Once the installation is finished insert the Driver and Application CD and install the needed drivers for all of the hardware in the computer.

I honestly don't remember what is on the HP QuickPlay CD so I can't be of much help with that one.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

Ah, that's very helpful. Thanks! If I run into any problems I'll come back and post. Thanks again.

#8 gilliang

gilliang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

Oh just wondering. In terms of getting Microsoft Office back on the computer. I found the original disc I used to put it on my computer. If I put that into the CD/DVD rom, will it work since it's being applied to the same computer? I'm assuming Microsoft Office isn't on the operating CD or the drivers and applications CD.

ETA: Sorry, another question. I selected the C partition and it said the bit about their being two operating systems but I said continue anyways and now it's asking me if i want to format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick), the NTFS file system, or leave the current file system intact (no changes). Which should I choose?

Edited by gilliang, 01 October 2009 - 11:35 PM.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Format the drive NTFS quick. This will wipe any information off the drive before the reinstallation of Windows XP.

And yes, your Office CD will work. You will just need to use the same CD key as you originally used.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users