Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RE-Installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

My computer got infected with a nasty virus and after working with someone in the maleware forum, they advised that I needed to reformat my hard-drive since the security of my computer has been compromised. . I tried looking for my xp pro disc but cannot find it. I do still have my service key for it though. According to my computer, its currently running xp professional 2002, service pack 2. My question is, will my key work with any version of xp pro (whether it be a newer version of sp2 or sp3?) or will it get rejected?

I'm aware of the forum's copyright policy, but since I already own an authentic copy of xp pro, have my key, and just lost my disc, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

Your key should work with any XP Pro CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

What is the make and model of your computer?
You should contact your computer manufacturer for an XP CD.

ALso have a look at this : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;en-us;326246

#4 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Make sure to remember what service pack the origional cd had. I've had issues trying to use a key from a disk that had sp2 with one that has sp3 on it.

#5 float1ng1nspace

float1ng1nspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for all of the insight. I've got SP2 so I'll see if I can track down a disc. The computer was built diy, so theres no mfg I can really get in touch with. with the HD failing due to a backdoor trojan, I'm not sure how safe it would even be to reinstall w/backup on the hard-drive. so, would an xp pro sp2 disc be the best option or if there is a backup on hd, would that be safe to use? How would I be able to determine if there is one on the HD (dont have contact info for the person who built the computer originally)? Suggestions?

Thanks!
brian

Edited by float1ng1nspace, 02 October 2009 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users