Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on bootup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 voros

voros

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Having an enormous problem with a desktop PC, home build. Relevant specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
Motherboard: MSI K9N4 SLI-F AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory
Video Card: PNY VCG7300GXPB GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

System functioned perfectly for 16 months. Now it boots to a blue screen ("A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down..."). Stop message:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000006, 0x8068476A, 0xF78A26E8, 0xF78A23E4)

Checked the google on that 0x0000007E and found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Checked all of the above, none applied or resolved the issue. The system does successfully boot in Safe Mode, but not with safe mode with networking.

Updated the BIOS. Issue persists.

Disabled and updated all drivers. Issue persists.

Have now re-installed Windows three additional times. Each time the system functions for a while (months to days to hours) and each time the length of how long it has functioned has shortened.

One problem is that I'm only working with one memory stick, so I can't remove the stick to check to see if the system still functions. I probably can take it down to Fry's to see if they can test it. The test I ran on it myself using a utility from here (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) came up with nothing. Switched memory ports, no difference.

Ran chkdisk, nothing. Have multiple drives installed, have installed XP on different drives. Problem inevitably returns. All drives have at least 25 gig worth of free space.

Antivirus checks all come up clean.

I now have the problem of not being able to identify what has gone wrong, and have exhausted all of my low and no-cost means to diagnose the problem. If it's the processor or the motherboard or some other hardware issue, I'd like to identify it without spending a hundred dollars and not resolving anything.

In sort of desperate straits now. Really low on cash, really need a functioning machine. Help?

Edited by voros, 01 October 2009 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users