Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Beeps Every 30 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunrunner

Sunrunner

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday a strange problem started happening... every 30 minutes(on the dot!) the speaker on my motherboard will give two, short beeps. The beeps happen no matter where I am... if I'm in the OS or in the BIOs I still hear the beeps at the exact same time. This computer is a couple years old and hasn't given me any trouble in the past.

Here are a few different things that I have tried to remedy the problem: replaced the cmos battery, cleaned out all dust/fans in the case, tested the memory, looked through many windows event logs, and finally reset the bios back to default settings. The performance of the actual computer is still the same as ever, the only problem is the beeping every half hour. Since this is a prebuilt gateway computer I do not have access to the motherboard's manual.

Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4
3070MB RAM
400 GB HD
Radeon X1600 Video Card
Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sunrunner

Sunrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

anyone? :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Check the BIOS beep codes for your particular system/motherboard?

Louis

#4 Sunrunner

Sunrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:09 AM

I have searched for hours online trying to find beep codes for this motherboard and can't find any :thumbsup:

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:48 AM

is their a clean good amount of thermal past on the cpu ?

#6 Sunrunner

Sunrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

This is a prebuilt computer that I've had for three years so I havent opened up the heatsink to check... here are the temp readings though:

CPU - 55 degrees C
System Temp - 40 degrees C

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

System is "prebuilt" by whom?

Do you mean it's a Dell, Gateway, eMachines, etc.?

The BIOS beep codes for such systems should be at their respective websites...and probably in the owner's manuals as well.

Louis

#8 Sunrunner

Sunrunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

The computer is a gateway. I went on the gateway site; they have very detailed documentation on the computer and it's parts but there isn't anything on beep codes. Some models on their website have motherboard manuals but my model's isn't available. I contacted gateway and they were of no help because I no longer have a warrenty.

I checked my copy of the user manual and again there was nothing on beep codes. I also went online and searched around for any kind of documentation on my specific motherboard and couldn't find a manual anywhere.

Edit: Additionally I have also I removed the hard drive, graphics card, nic, and pci usb stuff... still a beep.

Edited by Sunrunner, 03 October 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Well...beep codes vary according to whomever produced the BIOS.

You can try looking up the generic (either Phoenix, Award, or AMI) codes...and see if you can determine what the system is trying to tell you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users