Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall from I386 folder after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hello again yous guys. Once again I find myself in need of help from the various eggheads, geeks, nerds, and smarties that make up this community (present party included, except maybe from the Smarties group).

----EDIT----
I now know that is a stupid question and what I need to do is slipstream SP2 into my I386 folder.
------------

My old Dell desktop has defied me for the last time and must be reformatted. I have never restalled windows before but from what I understand it can actually be pretty simple, or annoyingly difficult. I have no install CD, just an I386 folder.
I backed up all my files, made sure I had installs for all my devices and programs, and was ready to run the Winnt32 app to begin the reinstall. When I tried to open it, I was told that the current version of Windows was different than what was shipped with the PC and that I'll need to unstall the more recent version first. All I've done to windows since I've had it was upgrade to Service Pack 2.
So how do I, essentually, revert to the old version of Windows my PC originaly had in order to reinstall? Do I go into the add/remove programs list? I see SP2 in there as well as a "Windows Installer"; should I remove these?

I hope this isn't one of those question that can't be answered without first giving every detail about your machine. I've already got a lot of work ahead of me after I do this and was thinking that reinstalling might actually be the easier part. Anyway, I appreciate any help I can get - You guys have never let me down.

Edited by All Meshed Up, 01 October 2009 - 06:47 PM.

"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Are you sure the Dell doesn't have a recovery partition?
Dell's recovery disks are free
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Ah, Garmanma, nice to see you again.

I have no recovery partition. And wouldn't i still have the same problem if I used a Dell recovery disk because I installed Service Pack 2?
I'll order it if I have to, but I'd like to get this done now and I think this is something I should learn how to do.

What I'd like to do is a clean install of windows. I just learned that in order to do this with the I386, I'll need to slipstream my SP2 into it. I'm still in the process of Googleing how to do this and then making my own CD. Any advice on this? Like, maybe I shouldn't be doing it?
"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users