Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me with HDMI hookup please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have a home theater receiver which currently runs the Television, stereo and all that fancy stuff. My computer has an Nvidia 8600GT video card with dual DVI-D Out (90% sure its DVI-D, right now its converted to VGA because my monitor is old), and regular audio out. What I would like to know is if there is a device or cable capable of taking the DVI and Audio from my PC and combining it to HDMI for easy plug-in to the home theater system.

I have in the past done the following: Plugged the VGA Cable from my PC into the television and set the television to PC-in, and plugged the audio into the auxiliary coaxial ports (Red and White) on the home theater box which is ok, but if I can get the 5.1 surround and 1080p DVI from the PC plugged into the home theater with a single HDMI instead of the mediocre quality and excessively cordy former setup it would be awesome. I have a DVI to HDMI cable but there's no audio on it.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:28 AM

Yes there is.. Your video card has DVI-I (analog and digital) that's why you can use the DVI-VGA adapter to connect to your Fossil err monitor :thumbsup: (its ok I have a VGA monitor on my other PC :huh: ). You can use a DVI-D to HDMI cable to connect the video card to your home theater system. You will need to match the comptuer with the resolution of your TV which isnt always easy to do.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:12 AM

I have a DVI to HDMI cable but there's no audio on it.

That would seem to indicate your video card does not have the special provision necessary to send out audio via the DVI connector. Not many do.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Everyone so far is correct you have all understood my problem which is: Video Card does not support audio encoding into an HDMI Signal and neither does the motherboard because the computer is from mid-2006 and the video card is early-2007 purchase date. Yes my regular PC Monitor is a fossil from 2006 B.C. and it came with the computer, it gets the job done.

Therefore what kind of device do I need to take the DVI-I and the Audio Outputs, plug them both into one side of the device with the result of a nice fully encoded HDMI A/V Signal out the other.

The reason I want to do this is because the 37" Television I would like to hookup to is hung on the wall and the PC port is in the rear. The home theater is a good 4 feet to the side. So in order to hook up the computer I have to go behind the TV, get the VGA plug screwed-in, then go over and setup the audio separately, then I have cords all over the front of my living room and it looks like crap. I could just leave the VGA plug in the Television but it wont stay up out of sight unless I were to screw a hook into the wall to wrap it around or Duct tape it to the back of the TV when not in use.

Edited by bigalexe, 02 October 2009 - 10:57 AM.

AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#5 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

The video card will not be able to send an audio signal over the HDMI connection. You will have to live with an analog solution for audio unless your system has a soundcard that supports higher quality sound (optical for instance). It seems to me that the best you could do is run a cable with 1/8th stereo male to RCA Male to the television, if it supports the additional sound input on the HDMI channel.

To clarify, most television hdmi inputs only take their signal from the one hdmi port, some allow an auxillary connection for PC input, etc.

You could also purchase an AV receiver, which would allow you to run the video input from HDMI and the audio input via rca (or possibly even 1/8th stereo) with a single hdmi out to the television.
A+ Certified Support Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users