Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about hooking up a dual monitor display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hey everyone,

This is my fist time thinking about hooking up a dual display.

If i understand correctly, in order to have a dual display, you need to have two VGA or DVI ports on the back of your video card.

I have an 8800GT video card and it has dual DVI-I connectors on the back.

Unfortunatally, i have like 6 DVI-I cables around my house that wont work.

The ports on the back of my video card look like this: First picture in the seccond colum. The cables i have lying around my house are the seccond picture in the seccond colum.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg

What kind of cable do i need to hook it up to my two monitors without using a DVI--> VGA adapter.

Seccondly, my Xbox is hooked up to my other monitor. I want to be able to switch from my Xbox 360 desktop to my PC desktop.

I beleive i heard of something called a KV switch. Would that work?

Thanks for reading
Have a nice day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

First question: What do the ports on the back of your monitors look like? Are they DVI-I also or DVI-D. If they are not DVI-D or DVI-I then that is why your DVI-D cables are not working.

I am not familiar with KV switches for the question about the second monitor. I'm guessing this second monitor is a television (really its not any technically different), if there are multiple PC inputs I would recommend connecting the Xbox to a different one and handling the problem by switching inputs because this is free and a KV Switch is not. What would REALLY help is telling us exactly what models the monitors are and their current uses.

Lastly I am assuming you are using Windows XP or Vista. If it is anything different you should say so because that may make a difference such as maybe faulty/outdated video card drivers may be to blame.

As far as actual setup goes:
1. Take two monitors
2. Place them on desk and set according to how you want them
3. Plug cables and power in
4. Boot computer and enjoy the dual monitor setup
5. (Optional) Do a search on the internet and find ways to make use of your dual monitor setup, also learn to use the Nvidia tool that switches the way Windows handles two monitors. You will find that if you don't do some tweaking things aren't as grand as they could be.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

You Need a DVI-D to DVI-D. Your monitor likely has a DVI-D connection and your video card has DVI-I. The problem is the center flat pin of the DVI-I is wider then the DVI-D. DVI-I is digital and Analog the 4 pins surrounding the flat center pin allow you to use a DVI-VGA (analog) converter. Since your using a digital monitor a DVI-D to DVI-D cable will work. You will notice in my signature that I am using 2 flat panel monitors they are both digital and connected to my Nvidia card using DVI-D cables.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 CnP Systems

CnP Systems

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

KVM switch should work. I don't like them because of the lag and sometimes other complications in switching over the mouse. Plus, the picture quality seems a bit lower for the computer that was not originally up when I turned everything on and then switch over to.

I use a dual monitor setup and two computers- one monitor has DVI and VGA outlets; the DVI port/outlet is hooked up to my PC with a dual DVI video card and the VGA cable goes to an old Dell with only VGA capability. When I use the Dell, I go into the monitor settings and manually switch over the input to analog rather than digital. (Takes 5 seconds.) Then, when I turn off the Dell, the monitor automatically goes back to showing the PC with the dual DVI video card.
CnP

#5 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

Hey all,

really sorry i didn't reply back. My computer took a crap on me but its all fixed now.

I tried using a DVI-D to DVI-D cable and i couldn't get a visual on my screen.

I couldn't even see the boot screen when iturned on my PC.

Edited by Cheesezilla, 03 October 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#6 Cheesezilla

Cheesezilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

AHHHHH i think i finally get it now.

I need two DVI-D dual link cables.

I have been just using the standerd DVI-D cable. ( the one that is missing the 9 pins in the center)

Edited by Cheesezilla, 03 October 2009 - 02:24 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

That Might cause a problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +