Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email and Gif images

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

How do I get my email to send animated Gifs? Running XP3 and Office 2007, I had no issues with Outlook but the new Outlook when I send a Gif it does not animate. I like many have amassed a ton of Gifs over the years and like to pop them into emails, kind of bummed out that the new Outlook sends them only as stills.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

As of Office 2007 animated gifs are not supported in e-mails. This is because the rendering engine of Outlook was changed from Internet Explorer to MS Word. The security enhancements gained by this are numerous and Microsoft has said that it does not plan to support animated gifs in their e-mail clients at all anymore. So I'm afraid you're out of luck with Outlook.

On a more personal note I'd like to point out that e-mails were never designed to be full of animations and other media. It was designed as a text-only medium. Further, images in e-mail is a security risk. Many e-mail clients, even most webmail services like Yahoo mail, will not display images by default. Also, since the images you want to use are locally stored rather than web-accessible they get sent as attachments rather than inline images. Only recipients using Outlook will see the images where you want them to be. Users of other e-mail clients such as Thunderbird, Eudora, Kmail, Apple Mail, Mutt, Pine, Evolution, Seamonkey, Pop Peeper, or hundreds of others may or may not see the images the way you want them to. More often than not the images will come along as attachments with no reference to where they ought to be displayed. </rant>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users