Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Beta

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:40 PM

The Beta 1 for IT Pros is out right now. Our Devs are assuring me we'll be able to get a copy of the Beta via the monthly MSDN CD. I'm looking at the "suggested" reqs... holy [censored]!

They say any AMD or Intel is a good fit for "basic functionality" but won't ptrovide the "optimal experience for most users and most definitely won't provide the best experience for high-end gaming or video editing." They're suggesting any 64-bit proc is best.... of course. Here comes debt...

512mb for "most users" but 1gb for "more advanced users"

This is the lowest thing iv'e seen so far. It says you'll only need a 64mb graphics card. Though they specify PCI Express or AGP.

HD that runs at least 7500RPM and has a 2mb cache. Also not bad.

100mb Ethernet. Pretty standard...

So for us obsessed nutcases, it's upgrade time!
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

Yup this is a heavy hitter. I can you tell this much from my preview last week at Microsoft of Vista that it is heavily graphics intensive.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

Vista might come with the feature of making it look like a previous windows version, just like XP did. That might reduce the graphics intensive-ness.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

It may be very pretty, but what does it DO?
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

My Dev actually let me know that there is a 32bit version too. Seeing as how I don't have any 64bit stuff, wer'e goign to test the 32bit in-office.

P.S. Looks like it may be a DVD indtall.... the image you d/l is 2gigs!

Edited by efizzer, 28 July 2005 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

2.4 gigs to be exact :huh:

#7 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:55 PM

Ya I gotta get to burning ti when I get home, then find a PC to put it on.... oh the horror!
Posted Image

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

I just put it on an extra partition. Dual boots with xp fine

#9 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

Got a Manky burn..... down 1 DVD from 25..... lets see how many coasters i make! My first burn didn't get all of the files due to a mistransfer between PCs, I had to move it from my work laptop w/o a burner to my wife's with a DVD burner..... must have had an error somewhere.... The install looks smooth though.... well, what I saw of it...

Edited by efizzer, 28 July 2005 - 05:21 PM.

Posted Image

#10 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

Looks like I may have to wait til Beta 2..... i'm having problems with one specific file.... ah well, s'ok. I can wait.
Posted Image

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:11 PM

We'll what are the HDD space requirements, if its a DVD, then I can only imagine that its requireing at least 5 gigs of hard disk space.

#12 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:48 PM

I got it up and running, took a bit though, but that's the price you pay to Beta Test!
Posted Image

#13 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

yes, you can default it to "Windows Classic"
Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users