Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen - a partial solution?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robin Oram

Robin Oram

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

I'm using Windows XP with SP3, and have experienced continual BSOD problems during Start Up, but I have recently found that instead of Turning Off the computer at end-session, I can Hibernate, and completely avoid experiencing the BSOD.

Maybe someone can explain why this is the case. Perhaps it avoids the occurrence of events that lead to the BSOD, so it would help to know what they might be.

My BSOD messages were reading as follows: (Omitting the usual warning sentences.)
"Page fault in non-paged area"

A typical address line would be
0xE2F67000, 0X00000000, 0X804D92C2, 0X00000001, or, 0xE2F7D000, 0X00000000, 0X804D92C2, 0X00000001, or with some further variations in the 3rd group.

The BSOD and memory dump to hard disk could repeat two to three times before the system would manage to start successfully. And, it could occur at any point during the start-up, from after the p/w prompt until the final desktop items were loading up.

I use Malwarebyte's Anti Malware, and it gives me a clean bill of health. I frequently use AShampoo 7 facilities to clean up, and to control start-up activities.

Any comments and references would be helpful - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

If you have .dmp messages...the best thing to do is try to analyze those.

See if you can follow this guide and post the results, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 Robin Oram

Robin Oram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for this Hamluis. I got as far as the end of your point no. 5, then I opened the MEMORY.DMP file as in point no. 6. I get an analysis that looks along the same lines as you show, but with the following embedded error message:

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: kernel32!pNlsUserInfo ***

So there seems to be something wrong with the symbol download, can you please help me out on this one?

Many thanks, Robin Oram

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Please post the entire ouput, as explained in the link I provided. Part of the output is pretty useless, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users