Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just wanted to mention virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jewelleria

Jewelleria

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface has in the last three days tried to get through Norton security on to my PC over a hundred times. They have changed IP addresses, and last night they changed the clock and date and time on the CP to Jan 1, 2080 which of course when I turned on the PC security was expired. I couldn't beleive it. Don't know if I am infected or not. This site, with it's other name isatap.myhome.westell.com has been bugging me for awhile now. I reformated my PC and it must have denied him access and now he wants back on my PC one way or another. Just wanted to comment in case anyone else has this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Hi,

the Teredo tunneling Pseudo-Interface is used for Ipv6 to Ipv4 tunneling.
Every website and PC connected to the internet has and needs an IP. Currently mostly IPv4 is used for this. However the number of IPs available with IPv4 is limited and more IPs are needed, IPv6 offers more IP addresses and probably will at some point replace IPv4.
Teredo tunneling offers a possibility to translate between IPv6 and IPv4. It is not a virus and should not affect your PC. For more information on it, maybe read the wiki-page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

Isatap is another tunneling protocol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISATAP . Are you using a router from westwell? If you are myhome.westwell.com is probably referring to your PC.
Hence isatap.myhome.westwell.com is another tunneling protocol from IPv6 to IPv4.

If you do not want the tunneling active, you can probably disable IPv6, which is enabled by default in Vista. Then you will only be using IPv4 and won't need any tunneling, hence both the connection with isatap and with teredo should then stop.

I can not tell you why your date was changed though. It might just be a hick up or something more sinister, without a closer look it's difficult to say.

regards _temp_

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users