Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some functions are suddenly agonizing slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

First off - My system is an HP Pavilion 750n with a 1.6 GHZ Pentium 4 processor, 768 MB RAM and using Windows XP Home ed as an OS. I noticed around mid-September that it started taking a longer time than usual to open programs from desktop icons and to open files from My Computer and Windows Explorer. It takes about 5 minutes to completely boot up - much of that time seems to be loading the Computer Asscociates Secuirity Suite. I have done all the usual tweaks like emptying the recycle bin, temp files, doing a defrag and scanning for viruses and malware. I also ran a Hijack This, but it did not detect any problems*. The icons on the desktop are: My Computer, Windows Explorer, Defrag, Word, Firefox, IE, AdAware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, ATFCleaner, CCCleaner, Computer Associates Security Suite. Excel, MS Publisher, Print Shop, and Kodak Easy Share. I did have a new power supply installed recently because the fan was making revving noises on and off. Even the tech that did that service commented on how slow my computer was. Unfortunately, he only services hardware and could not offer any suggestions to help me with the slowness problem. I also had a new modem installed about a month ago. I get Internet access through a cable ISP. Physical memory while running is: Total - 78,000, Available - 42,000, System Cache - 43,000. Processes running - 38. Startup Selection is "Selective Startup" with checks in the boxes for Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File, Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI. The box next to "Load Startup Items" is solid green in the box (no check). I have 5 icons in the Systray Box - AdAware, CA Security Center, Volume, and Safely Remove Hardware (for my external Ethernet card). These items are checked in the Startup menu: cctray, CAVRID, cafw, capfasem, capfupgrade, realsched, AAWTray, Reader_sl and there's one box with a check in it that's on a blank line. Once I get on the Internet, it seems to work normally - I do not notice any lagging while browsing, only when I use the desktop icons and menus or try to open or move files using Windows Explorer that there is a considerable lag. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be and any fixes would be much appreciated. Assume that I am not too computer savvy. Thanks.

Edited by debodun, 01 October 2009 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

First...I suggest that you edit your original post...and remove the HJT log data.

HJT log info is required for malware scenarios, in malware forums. At this particular time, it does not appear to me that you have malware issues...leaving the log posted will result in this thread being moved to one of the malware forums (which is somewhat overworked).

I suggest that you download/install a program like Autoruns and use it to take a look at your startup items. The Logon tab of Autoruns is the one that you want to look at, leave all others alone.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Bear in mind that removing an item from startup...does not remove that program from your system, it merely prevents the program from running needlessly at boot.

Since you singled out CA's product...I would also test the system without it. The Windows firewall is adequate for firewall protection and there are any number of free AV programs that are also effective and (possibly) less burdensome than CA's product. I would suggest the Avira Free/Personal Edition for an AV program (at least for test purposes).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users