Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - System Crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB55

GlenB55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

Having problem with a Dell Pentium 4 system that recently upgraded to Windows XP from Windows ME -- system works fine for awhile then shuts down on its own. Last night, XP took over the computer and performed a file review/repair that took almost an hour -- FAT 32 concerns were mentioned. System still does not work. Have run Norton System Works 2005 on the computer and cleaned up anything that surfaced.

Anyone experience this problem -- any solutions?

Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:12 AM

Right Click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>click Settings under Startup & Recovery>Remove the check from Automatically Restart under System Failure, this should stop the restart or shutdown until we diagnose the problem.

Then:

Right Click My Computer>Manage>Event Viewer>System>post here any error source & event number that you see in the log.

I have a feeling this is probably a driver conflict of some sort, WinME don't play well with others, kind'a like MS's problem child, but shouldn't be anything that we can't fix.

Have you tried a complete cleaning to see if that helps?
Show all Files & Folders
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=62
Try these free tools.
Trendmicro (free virus scan only)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Adware SE (update after installing)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot S&D (update after installing)
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...4-10122137.html

Go to Windows Update and download all updates.

Note: If you did not upgrade with a Windows XP SP2 CD Do not install SP2 untill we get your computer running right.

#3 GlenB55

GlenB55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

To River_Rat:

Thanks, your suggestion provided temporary relief -- Error Log included multiple error entries on Disk, including Events 4, 5, 7, 9, 16, 19, 26, 70, 6005, 6009, 7035 and 7036. Does this help.

Ran updated Norton System Works scan and Adware SE scan. System is still shutting down. Will run a complete virus scan this weekend again.

DOS screen refers to "one of your files is incompatible with FAT 32, and then it runs a lengthy scan to repair file directories in individual files, then it checks for "free space" --- today it stated that your physical memory has been erased!/

Should I uninstall Windows XP, SP2 and then reinstall it?

Please advise if this helps clarify what we are experiencing.

Thanks

GlenB55

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

If you have any important info saved you should back it up in case something goes wrong. From the looks of all them error #'s you have several issues.

Error Log included multiple error entries on Disk, including Events 4, 5, 7, 9, 16, 19, 26, 70, 6005, 6009, 7035 and 7036. Does this help.

Glen I will need the Event Source that goes with these Event ID #'s. Each source will have a # that is what I will need to track down the exact program or hardware causing the error.

Download & install CCleaner. (do not run it yet)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner.html

Ran updated Norton System Works

Did you have NSW installed during the upgrade?
If so lets remove it in Add & Remove Programs. and lets see if anything starts working better. (Remove all programs associated with NSW)

Run CCleaner, use it to Scan For Issues also. (fix all that is found)
You can reinstall NSW now.

DOS screen refers to "one of your files is incompatible with FAT 32, and then it runs a lengthy scan to repair file directories in individual files, then it checks for "free space"

Your event errors should maybe shed some light on this when I can review them.
FAT32 shouldn't cause any problems so it has to be something causing this.
When this is all sorted out we can convert your drive to NTFS if you wish, in the meantime you can read about the difference to see if you want to convert.
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
http://www.thundercloud.net/information-av.../ntfs-vs-fat32/

No lets hold off on this.
Did the problems all start after installing SP2?

#5 GlenB55

GlenB55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:35 AM

River Rat:

Thanks, I'll try these today or tomorrow -- computer is my daughter's, lives in Baltimore. There was an old version of NSW on the computer when the upgrade was installed, but no problems occurred until months later.

The NSW I am referring to in my message was installed by me after the conversion and after the system problems arrived.

Will let you know how your suggestions work -- if they don't, will get a complete page listing of the errors shown.

GlenB55

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

OK
Sounds good Glen let us know how things are going.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

To River_Rat:

Thanks, your suggestion provided temporary relief -- Error Log included multiple error entries on Disk, including Events 4, 5, 7, 9, 16, 19, 26, 70, 6005, 6009, 7035 and 7036. Does this help.

Ran updated Norton System Works scan and Adware SE scan. System is still shutting down. Will run a complete virus scan this weekend again.

DOS screen refers to "one of your files is incompatible with FAT 32, and then it runs a lengthy scan to repair file directories in individual files, then it checks for "free space" --- today it stated that your physical memory has been erased!/

Please advise if this helps clarify what we are experiencing.

Thanks

GlenB55

Why not just change the drive to NTFS if one of your programs is incompatible with Fat 32?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users